Bronze

I have 40+ lbs of what I assume is marine bronze in the form of 65 y.o. bronze propellers. They are all Mercury props of the same vintage so I expect the alloy, whatever it is, will be consistent. My intent is to melt them down and cast them as billets for an unknown future use.

I also have bronze main bearings from the same source. Another 10 lbs.
I suspect the props may be worth more for collectors than it would be worth for a future “unknown” use.

Worth finding out before melting them down.

John

Too much stock???? is that really a thing???? At what point do you reach that destination????
As hard as it is for me to say as a former hoarder, when I was tripping over it. The trigger for me was when I needed a piece of 5/16" round CRS for a project; instead of looking through my very disorganized stock pile, racks, 5-gallon buckets, leaned up against the wall, tucked under this and that various piles, I went to the store and bought more. "*hrist sakes Bruce, you have a sheet-ton of this stuff already, why are you buying more?!?" Because I was too lazy to look through the 17+ places I had stock stored.

I ended up getting some "religion" and went through the piles and organized them; photos below where almost all of my stock resides (some longer angle is outside). I didn't shoot a "before" as I think there's a 20 or 30 picture limit on a posting. As tough as it was to start piling up pieces of bar stock, short aluminum rounds, salvaged aluminum plate, tubular steel from weight machines/bikes, etc., I like the end result. It'll make it a lot easier for my heirs to dispose of it when I kick-off for good. And my bad, I plan on labeling what's where as it's currently sorted by "species"; CRS, 4140'ish, stainless, tool steel, aluminum, brass, copper, bronze, etc. One of these days. . .

Bruce

20230718_135821.jpg
20230718_135855.jpg
20230718_135833.jpg
20230718_135937.jpg

As hard as it is for me to say as a former hoarder, when I was tripping over it. The trigger for me was when I needed a piece of 5/16" round CRS for a project; instead of looking through my very disorganized stock pile, racks, 5-gallon buckets, leaned up against the wall, tucked under this and that various piles, I went to the store and bought more. "*hrist sakes Bruce, you have a sheet-ton of this stuff already, why are you buying more?!?" Because I was too lazy to look through the 17+ places I had stock stored.

I ended up getting some "religion" and went through the piles and organized them; photos below where almost all of my stock resides (some longer angle is outside). I didn't shoot a "before" as I think there's a 20 or 30 picture limit on a posting. As tough as it was to start piling up pieces of bar stock, short aluminum rounds, salvaged aluminum plate, tubular steel from weight machines/bikes, etc., I like the end result. It'll make it a lot easier for my heirs to dispose of it when I kick-off for good. And my bad, I plan on labeling what's where as it's currently sorted by "species"; CRS, 4140'ish, stainless, tool steel, aluminum, brass, copper, bronze, etc. One of these days. . .

Bruce

View attachment 462800
View attachment 462802
View attachment 462801
View attachment 462803
That look great, I am not yet at that level; but I strive to reach it and my wife has encouraged me.... LOL I really like your storage solutions....

Back