Bronze

How did you determine it is CDA194? CDA194 has some iron in it, so that could explain the magnetism, but there are other alloys with nickel that is also magnetic.

As far as the size, it could be used to extrude electrical components and wasn’t meant to be machined from the bar stock.

With it being magnetic, you might have trouble at the scrap yard with them taking it as a copper alloy. A company I used to work for had a lot of large machine components made from super duplex stainless steel, since it is magnetic, the scrap yard would only give them scrap steel rates and not stainless. That may explain why the dealer was selling it for less than he claimed he could get at the scrap yard.
The guy at the scrap yard scanned the piece with a $30,000 xrf gun.

There is always a risk that I'll buy something surplus that turns out to be pretty much useless....This was my turn. I'm sure I can make something out if it...lol.

I figured it was bronze from the color, texture, and hardness. I was wrong.
For hobby use nothing is useless, just have to figure what you want to use it for….

I say pick a project and go for it. Maybe an engine, fancy coasters, whatever.

See how it turns on the lathe, what it looks like polished up.

John

For hobby use nothing is useless, just have to figure what you want to use it for….

I say pick a project and go for it. Maybe an engine, fancy coasters, whatever.

See how it turns on the lathe, what it looks like polished up.

John
It is supposed to have 20% machinability..... I'm not sure I want to mess with it too much.

I didn't read over all of the comments between your original post and the latest; I'm probably not giving the "popular" response; I'd pass on it. I've been cleaning shop and took about a ton (literally) of scrap steel, aluminum, stainless and titanium to our local metal recycler. Yeah, a whopping $0.08 / lbs. for steel, $0.30 / lbs. for aluminum and stainless, $0.50 / for the titanium. A lot of the stuff was shorts and cutoffs that I might use, but honestly I had no plans. After all, how many 1/2" - 1 1/2" long by 1/2" - 2" diameter pieces of steel do I need? I had 200 lbs. of steel tubing in the form of old weight machines and exercise bike; lots of crazy shapes with random brackets welded on. Sure, I might use is, but probably not. I figure I'm saving our kids from trashing after I take my permanent dirt nap.

Sounds like you made the call based on the machinability. I've done a couple of projects with mystery bronze and it was a real bugger to cut.

Bruce

I have 40+ lbs of what I assume is marine bronze in the form of 65 y.o. bronze propellers. They are all Mercury props of the same vintage so I expect the alloy, whatever it is, will be consistent. My intent is to melt them down and cast them as billets for an unknown future use.

I also have bronze main bearings from the same source. Another 10 lbs.

Whoa, I say whoa there , we live in Ohio.
Call advance bronze in Lodi, and call the bronze supplier in Cleveland, I think Berea,
Advance will probably by it as they melt cast and more! I believe Mellot is in Creston.
What you have is valuable to some, very valuable to a few and ........a little research, some calls and a little patience you can sell it for a profit.

It's a thing! Several threads and posts have come up where guys have too much material. I feel sad for them, they go to great lengths (pun) to sort and stack their stock (alliteration) into buckets of brass and bins of tin (more alliteration and a rhyme). They're like squirrels with nuts (simile) performing a Sisyphean feat of organization (metaphor), rearranging their hoards ad infinitum (hyperbole). But they're happy their stock is there, and so are their drops, lined up like soldiers at the ready (anthropomorphic simile). The more stock you have, the closer you are to future perfect.

I couldn't have been an English major, they were all obviously doing it for the money (sarcasm).
Too much stock???? is that really a thing???? At what point do you reach that destination????

Back