Building a Shaper experiences-

Got ya. Some decent MIG machines about without breaking the bank, but big investment for one job.

MIG joints can be mildly hard occasionally, but I've never had a problem machining them. It's only ever the very outside, so a quick lick with a grinder is worst case on a particularly awkward joint, but I've actually never had call to do so. If you get some little pockets of slag in a stick weld it can be hard on tools too, though.

I also ordered and received the Strong arm shaper from Martin Pattern. When I got the package and opened it, it was missing the ram. Called up the fellow that ran the outfit. He explained that he had some new castings and was waiting for them to get annealed. Had a nice chat. Turned out that he had taught at the same high school that I went to years earlier. Nice guy.

Hmm... I'm trying to read through the plans to the Acto. It is a pretty massive project that is quite a bit overwhelming. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do...

I got the Gingery book last night and flipped through it, the 'cobbled together' look is apparently part of the design. I think I'd regret making it.

The Acto is unbelievably overwhelming. This seems like it could be a multi-year long project. Out of my options, its clearly the nicest, but that comes with years of work!

The Martin looks cool, but I suspect I'd almost immediately feel like I wanted more machine.

I think I'm at least short-term going to keep an eye out for a commercially made shaper in the PDX area. Sadly they don't show up often (even overpriced!), and I don't think I'd be willing to way overpay for something like that (like the $2k Atlas!!!... though a shaper WORTH $2k I'd be willing to spring for).

I've got probably a few weeks on my current machining project (a hit/miss engine!), so perhaps I'll change my mind at the end of that. But thanks everyone for your feedback!

I meant to mention this earlier, but I had to find the source. There is also a set of plans that you can download for free by vintage Projects . com for a hand power shaper. Look under metal and welding projects. You use 1/2 inch steel plate and a 2" by 2" by 12" long steel bar and whatever else that's in the plans. Even though I have the strong arm by Martin Pattern, I'm still working on the vintage.

David It’s been my experience that mig welds can be much harder to machine than stick.
If you were a little closer i’d help weld or show you what little I know.
After following your Bob Shores engine build I have no doubt you can build one.
I have an old Lindsey reprint Shaper Operations book around here somewhere, send me a PM aI’ll try to find it and i’ll Mail it to you.

David It’s been my experience that mig welds can be much harder to machine than stick.
If you were a little closer i’d help weld or show you what little I know.
After following your Bob Shores engine build I have no doubt you can build one.
I have an old Lindsey reprint Shaper Operations book around here somewhere, send me a PM aI’ll try to find it and i’ll Mail it to you.
Thanks for the kind words and the book offer! I've sent you a PM.

I'm SOOO on the fence on the project, which is killing me. On one hand, I'm pretty sure I could at least figure it out. Also, for less than a commercial one, as the material costs on A36 is CHEAP comparatively. I think for ~$200 you can make the entire base of the shaper.

On the other hand, it seems like a massive undertaking... I already feel out of my depth on the Bob Shores engine :)

I love that movie

You're into the realms of "how to eat an elephant" with projects like this. One bite at a time. I'm going to buy a set of plans, I reckon this is one where it'll take shape really quickly but the last 10% will take 90% of the time. I'm used to projects like this, I restore steam locos when I'm not machining!

I'll go buy a set of plans, I'm quite intrigued.

I love that movie

You're into the realms of "how to eat an elephant" with projects like this. One bite at a time. I'm going to buy a set of plans, I reckon this is one where it'll take shape really quickly but the last 10% will take 90% of the time. I'm used to projects like this, I restore steam locos when I'm not machining!

I'll go buy a set of plans, I'm quite intrigued.
Ah! Nice! He emailed them as well as mailed, so I got them pretty quick. It'd be nice to have someone to go along the build with when it comes time to bounce ideas off of.

All paid up and downloaded, I'll cast an eye over it this eve.

Would make an interesting thread if we both started builds at the same time! Hehe.

Back