Building my last shop

POWER, POWER, POWER! -Progress!
Today Electricity, tomorrow the Slab!

Actually next weeks weather is looking pretty good. Fingers crossed we can dry out and start work again.

Great
I know this thread has gotten boring because I haven't made any real progress. We had 4.5 inches of rain last week and 2 inches last night. With summer right around the corner we should get some hot and dry days so we can get done. I did have the power company show up today. There are setting the poles and running the wire.
View attachment 325655
Great! Now you can run a sump pump! :D

Bruce

Last edited:
Yes please no more rain. Geez. We got nearly 3 inches from the storm. Looks like a swimming pool inside the building right now.

A few years back we were building a mother in law suite... now referred to as the servant's quarters. It was spring. No sooner were all the footings and perimeter dug than it started raining. And raining. And raining. The trenches all filled with water. The poor contractor had everything covered with tarps and blowers in the trench trying to dry it out. Days. Weeks. Me, being me, went to the dollar store and bought a few blow-up pool toys. Anything that looked like a moat monster. Under the tarp they went. The next day when he lifted the tarp for a check was the first time I've seen the contractor crack a smile in weeks.

You are running conduit under the slab so you can have power at stations in the middle of the shop, right?

john

I was 19 years old and a buddy and myself decided to go into business roofing houses. We lined up some work and the very first job was to deck a 3000 sqft house under new construction. I quit the two other jobs I had and on monday we drove to the jobsite. It started sprinkling on the way. Was raining hard by the time we got there and did not stop raining for 20+ days setting a local record for consecutive days of rain. And with it went my first attempt at being a small business owner and my last paid (almost) construction job.

The shop at Waverly High School in Lansing, MI had the power under the shop and had knock-outs through the floor to the equipment. My dad was the head of the shop department when the school was built and had that spec'd into the build (somehow they listened to a 27-year old shop teacher?!?!). So much cleaner than the Junior High that was built 5 years later with all of the power dropping from above.

That being said, all of mine is from above or an adjacent wall. I need to move a ceiling fan for clearance to my Tormach and don't have a lot of options or open ceiling space.

Bruce

Summer is finally here and hopefully some better weather. So frustrated with the down pours of rain flooding the inside of the shop so I decided to take some action. I hand dug a trench in front of the building to help stop the water running into it and I covered the sides with dirt to stop water from getting in from under the wood forms. Now if we get anymore down pours I can minimize the inside flooding. Well I can only get one picture to load. Sorry.
GOPR4288.JPG

Back