Central machinery 12x36 lathe wiring

Wiscomx78

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi everyone, new to the site, I recently purchased a central machinery lathe, (dsl1237gh) the previous owner replaced the original motor with a 1.5hp Baldor, somewhere along the way when he wired it, there were a few missed connections, I worked thru most of it, got lathe running but will not reverse and jog switch pops breaker when engaged, I am wondering if anyone would happen to have a manual or any insight on this model, thanks.

240 volts supply correct? Can you post a picture of your motor terminal block? The problem is likely there MS

Last edited:
Here is a few pictures, the last two pictures are of the contactors, not sure if a wire is suppose to connect to v/t2 terminals, there was a short 2” jumper wire laying in bottom of panel when I got it home and opened it up, thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG_4467.jpeg
    IMG_4467.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4468.jpeg
    IMG_4468.jpeg
    510.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4469.jpeg
    IMG_4469.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 84
Forgot to mention have 220volts supplying it

We should check the jog problem first. Shut off the breaker.
Disconnect the motor, tape the wires, re-power and see if the jog still pops the breaker. If so then the contactors are miswired
We'll need to fix that first before reconnecting the motor

Last edited:
I will try this when I get home, so pretty much just power jog switch and not motor and see what happens is what I’m understanding

Yes, just jog with motor disconnected, wires taped off
Shoot a pic of the whole control box please, try to fill the frame, but keep in focus

I see at least one error on the bottom contactor terminal row- maybe two
I'm concerned one of the contactors is faulty and the PO was trying
to bypass it- shouldn't have needed to mess with those for motor replacement

Do you own a multimeter of some kind? Picture if you have one
Doesn't need to be expensive

Last edited:
Disconnected motor, when I hit the jog switch now it atleast clicks and does not blow the breaker

Attachments

• IMG_4472.jpeg
    IMG_4472.jpeg
    547.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4473.jpeg
    IMG_4473.jpeg
    520.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4474.jpeg
    IMG_4474.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 48
Ok that's encouraging
It looks to me that the purple wire is wrong, and there should be wires on the "V" lower terminals of both contactors
Shoot a shot of the whole contactor box, so I can see all the contactor terminals

At the motor it should connect like so: (motor set for high volt)
U and V from the box should go to 1 and 4 of the motor
6 of motor should go to M6 from box (6 of motor disconnected from 1, connected only to M6)
May not work but you can try it
I suspect we will have to revisit the contactors

Last edited:
Back