Central machinery 12x36 lathe wiring

I was thinking 1 and 8 from motor connect to u or v in box, leaving me with #8 red wire which I thought was a secondary hot wire, was wondering about empty v/t2 terminals on contractors if they should be tied together, also not seeing a wire # 6 from motor, thanks for the help

Last edited:
Here is a picture of contactors

Attachments

• IMG_4475.jpeg
    IMG_4475.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 62
OK here's the deal:
The contactors are not wired as OEM, the previous owner made some changes.
I'm not sure if we can get this thing going without a bunch of testing and some rewiring,
and even so, we don't know if the contactors are 100% OK. The S/V poles on them might be bad
which might explain why they are not being used- not sure
I'm up for continuing if you are, but it could get involved. Just letting you know.

Last edited:
This is what I have, 3,2,and 5 then 1 and 8 together

Attachments

• IMG_4467.jpeg
    IMG_4467.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 49
My mistake- 8 from motor should be disconnected from 1. Then 8 should connect to M6 from the box. M5 wire should be N.C. (taped)
If that doesn't work, try connecting 8 to M5 instead (M6 taped)
1 and 4 from motor should go to U and V from box. Motor 2,3,5 connect together by themselves, as per factory diagram

That might give one direction and jog, but I'm pretty sure there are still some issues with the contactors- that purple wire is definitely wrong
and should be removed- it could be affecting the "lockout"
It's important that the electrical lockout function of the contactors is intact- it uses normally closed contacts to prevent both
from pulling at the same time which would put a short across the power line

Last edited:
I tried 8 to m6 and it will now reverse and go foward, I then switched 8 to m5 and pulled purple wire off of contactors and it was a one direction function, blew breaker when the jog function was pressed, so I reset breaker and put 8 back to m6 and reinstalled purple wire and the motor wants to turn but is struggling, definitely seems like contactor is bad, I’m not sure if contactors are normally open or closed

OK
Contactors need some help
When you tried 8 to M6, you got forward and reverse? Did the jog trip the breaker? Or did the jog trip breaker only after you changed to M5 and took the purple wire off? The symptoms are pretty much what I expected based on how the contactor wiring looks

I'm not quite sure how to proceed- If it was my machine in front of me I would repair it in a different way than doing it
remotely for someone else. My first instinct would be to pull off most of the contactor wires and start over, but I'm not sure
we need to do that just yet. The biggest problem is visibility.

Shoot some more pictures of the contactor box, and give me a bunch of angles. I need to see the wires on the upper and lower
rows of contactor terminals as clearly as possible with as good a lighting as you can manage
Not super close ups, far enough back so I can see where the wires go

Last edited:
Jog tripped the breaker once I switch 8 to m5, after that switched 8 back to m6 and motor will change direction but doesn’t have enough to turn, I was just putting my meter on the contactors and test, they all test different, some have continuity and some don’t, doesn’t seem to change if hold reset down, still had continuity as I was testing

The continuity tests may not be meaningful unless you disconnect things first. I wouldn't spend time on that yet. Your contactors
have 4 normally open poles and 1 normally closed pole (terminals 1 and 2)
The symptoms don't make sense. If the jog trips the breaker it should do it whether the motor is connected or not.

It smells like there is still something going on at the motor side- you probably should shoot a picture of that too

Last edited:
I probably should have tested motor first before taking P.O. word for it, is it possible to burn out start capacitor? The only reason I say that is it just seems to be barely getting enough power to turn now after switching m6 an m5 back and fourth

Attachments

• IMG_4470.jpeg
    IMG_4470.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4478.jpeg
    IMG_4478.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4477.jpeg
    IMG_4477.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 50
Back