CHEAP TIG Welder

I just bought a Yeswelder TIG 250P--the old model that is DC only (and thus won't do aluminum, which I don't need). I will probably regret it--either it will sour me on welding in my shop or it will encourage me to spend like a teenager with Daddy's credit card, just like the lathe has done. It's probably in the same category as buying a Chinese lathe or mill, especially that none of the importers seem to have a really good service reputation without the price doubling or tripling. So, you get what you get, and either return it immediately or make it work. I do not expect the Yeswelder to be any better than the other Chinese cheapies of the same design, but I found a batch of this older (but higher-power) model on ebay for two bills, which seemed little enough to reduce risk exposure.

I selected it because the next size down (the TIG 205) was reportedly underpowered for using 6010, though 6010 would probably not be a good place for me to start anyway. I have 240 in the shop and didn't need to limit myself to a machine that will only run on 120. I selected a TIG machine because I want to be able to stick-weld, and frankly that's the welding I will do most of the time anyway. My stick skills are limited but my TIG skills are non-existent. And I have a bad taste in my mouth from my 15-year-old MIG welder cheapie that won't feed wire properly in addition to its many other weaknesses. It did, however, leave me with a mostly full bottle of Argon, but it didn't work reliably enough for me to use up the bottle. That will let me dabble a bit with TIG to see what it's like.

(The 205P was actually rated more highly for TIG than for stick welding, by the way, and that may be true of all the Chinese cheapies in that class.)

Rick "can't justify spending more right now" Denney

I like my Primeweld 225X - It's a much better welder than I am .......
I have the AHP AlphaTIG 200 and feel the same. One of the very few pieces I've purchased new. The only problem I've had is the ultra-flexible gas hose got damaged (my fault) right where it exits the fitting at the welder. I replaced it with a not-so-flexible but much more durable Weld-craft.

Wouldn't mind having a MIG, but for the little fab welding I do stick is sufficient. I'm leary of the cheap MIG welders because of the wire feed mechanisms. Electronics seem to follow Moore's law, mechanical parts much less so.

Just in my own experience, I have not had the highest rates of customer satisfaction with products made in China (if somebody is looking to purchase an econo-TIG welder made in the PRC).

Just in my own experience, I have not had the highest rates of customer satisfaction with products made in China (if somebody is looking to purchase an econo-TIG welder made in the PRC).
That seems to be the one benefit of the Primeweld machines....fantastic customer service and support.

If my memory is correct it was started by a couple of guys who used to work for red or blue. They have the machines made overseas to their specs, but they are based here and you can get them on the phone easily. The other thing is it seems they must spec some sort of QC process because I have seen exactly one person claim to get a dead machine, and they said a replacement was shipped out immediately with essentially no questions asked. It may be as simple as putting a requirement in that the machine is powered up before boxing, or something like that. Most of the other brands...Everlast, AHP, HF, etc have quite a few people report machines that simply won't power up right out of the box. With some brands, if you wait even a couple of months you're out free return shipping for a unit that's dead from the start...ridiculous.

Very high on my list of "to buy" things is a Primeweld CUT60 plasma cutter. The coworker that sits across from me bought their 225X TIG based upon my suggestion and then he bought their CUT60 because he was never happy with his big name plasma cutter.....he loves the CUT60 and the pictures he's shown me of the big stuff he's cut have looked impressive.

That seems to be the one benefit of the Primeweld machines....fantastic customer service and support.

If my memory is correct it was started by a couple of guys who used to work for red or blue. They have the machines made overseas to their specs, but they are based here and you can get them on the phone easily. The other thing is it seems they must spec some sort of QC process because I have seen exactly one person claim to get a dead machine, and they said a replacement was shipped out immediately with essentially no questions asked. It may be as simple as putting a requirement in that the machine is powered up before boxing, or something like that. Most of the other brands...Everlast, AHP, HF, etc have quite a few people report machines that simply won't power up right out of the box. With some brands, if you wait even a couple of months you're out free return shipping for a unit that's dead from the start...ridiculous.

Very high on my list of "to buy" things is a Primeweld CUT60 plasma cutter. The coworker that sits across from me bought their 225X TIG based upon my suggestion and then he bought their CUT60 because he was never happy with his big name plasma cutter.....he loves the CUT60 and the pictures he's shown me of the big stuff he's cut have looked impressive.
I had major delivery issues with my Primeweld 225. After Dustin from Primeweld went nine rounds with UPS and got no where, they sent another via FedEx which arrived before the original UPS delivery. They gave me the option of selling the second machine and sending them the cash or returning it at their cost. Unbelievably good service from Primeweld.

I had major delivery issues with my Primeweld 225. After Dustin from Primeweld went nine rounds with UPS and got no where, they sent another via FedEx which arrived before the original UPS delivery. They gave me the option of selling the second machine and sending them the cash or returning it at their cost. Unbelievably good service from Primeweld.
Wow...that's impressive!

Back