• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Clausing Drill Press (new to me)

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rwm

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
What do you guys think about this hole?

I have two thoughts:
I could mill it into an elongated slot and use it with a mill type hold down for work holding.
I could try to patch it.
For a patch I was thinking this. Drill it out round and then countersink. Then machine a matching cast iron disc and solder it in place. Since this is not structural can I use regular solder or must I use silver solder? I am afraid to really heat up the area and cause a crack.

I am not going to use JB weld or other polymer solutions unless someone has something really spectacular in mind.

Robert

Charles Spencer

Active User
Well, that 6" Chinese cross slide vise was rather sloppy when I got it. As I said, I tightened it up a bit. I straightened the gibs, adjusted the gib screws, filed and sanded down the castings, cleaned up the acme screws, and installed washers to remove slack. On the bright side, I think I paid about $70 with free shipping on Amazon.

Also, usually when I drill holes in metal I lay them out and center punch them. So using the x-y handles to line it up is very handy for me. That is accurate enough for most things that I do. If I need to be within a couple of thousandths, I'd probably use my mill-drill.

rwm

Active User
I just learned the date on this machine is May 2002 per Clausing. They also sent me the manual. it is great shape. I have some ideas for upgrades. Stay tuned.
Robert

RandyM

Staff member
Robert,

If you haven't decided on what to do to fix the hole in the table, here is another idea. You could tap it, run a bolt into it from the bottom and grind it flush on the top.

Charles Spencer

Active User
I just learned the date on this machine is May 2002 per Clausing. They also sent me the manual. it is great shape. I have some ideas for upgrades. Stay tuned.
Robert
Shoot, I got underwear older than that.

You are a lucky bastid.

rwm

Active User
Robert,

If you haven't decided on what to do to fix the hole in the table, here is another idea. You could tap it, run a bolt into it from the bottom and grind it flush on the top.
Excellent idea! I was thinking about the reverse. I will probably try that.

R

rwm

Active User
What do you guys think about swapping out the motor for a servo motor like this one:

4500 rpm max. 3/4 HP. Variable speed.

R

rwm

Active User
Finally made it into the shop!

No comments on the motor?
Has anyone set up a linear actuator to raise and lower the table? Seems like it would be very convenient.

Robert

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]