Clausing Verified Lathe bought for 1k

Wow! I haven't priced plate steel in a while. About two years ago I bought a full 4x8 sheet of half inch for my work table top and paid $400. I thought I was getting ripped off then!

Maybe you could double the ply and glue and screw it together. One layer may not be enough. Full disclosure: I have no idea if that's necessary.

Wow! I haven't priced plate steel in a while. About two years ago I bought a full 4x8 sheet of half inch for my work table top and paid $400. I thought I was getting ripped off then!
I priced a sheet back in the summer (of 2021) and it was over $800. I bet it is even more than that now.

I think it should be ok the lathe is 400-500 lbs and im using 2inch 1/4 wall SS tubing we took out of my work as scrap metal. The center post is a 2x4x3/8 SS welded all 8 sides to the round tubing. then I have 1x1x3/16 ss tubing welded to the outside of the legs 2/3rds the way down locking the legs in so they cant bow out. The two little wings are the mounting points for the rear of the lathe and the single hole in the front is for the front of the lathe. This will give me an 18inch work space behind the gear cover on the left of the lathe where I'm putting a metal peg board with all the change gears and other tooling on it.

“Should be okay” for a lathe ten times the weight. Sounds great.

I defer to your experience. Lol. I'm stoked! I really like that lathe. Looking forward to following along.

I priced a sheet back in the summer (of 2021) and it was over $800. I bet it is even more than that now.
Ouch, I was considering looking into some heavy steel plate to make a lathe bench similar to this. I think I'll wait....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Back