Compressor fill time sanity check

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hoping someone can give me a bit of a sanity check on my compressor fill time.
10.2 cfm @90 psi pump
40 gallon tank (2x20 joined)
8 minute fill time from empty.
2 minutes to refill from 90 psi to 125 psi.

Does this seem reasonable?

i've had a lot of compressors in my life. can't say i was ever concerned with that kind of technical detail. i had to go to work

That seems a bit on the slow side. I ran a pump up calculator and on paper it should be more like 4 minutes. I would double-check the pump output (specs) to make sure it's CFM delivered rather than CFM displaced.

Last edited:
If not real old, contact manufacturer as they should be able to provide.

Sound a bit slow.

Make and model?

Age?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

That seems a bit on the slow side. I ran a pump up calculator and on paper it should be more like 4 minutes. I would double-check the pump output (specs) to make sure it's CFM delivered rather than CFM displaced.

Let me do some research.

A little low, but then the numbers they quote may be a bit optimistic. You also need to figure that the 10.2CFM is at 90 PSI, at 125 PSI you may be a more like 7-8CFM, the last 10-20 PSI before shutoff will be extended. Calculator says 5-6 minute refill time, 90 to 125 PSI fill time of 2 minutes is about right for 7 CFM. The other factor is Hp, I assume it is single phase 120VAC, the motor Hp may be a bit optimistic.

This is the info off the tank. I bought the pump and motor as a package and put it on my 20 gallon Speedaire tank and joined that to another 20 gallon tank.
57312e27188a8da13c6b2689b2cb464a.jpg

Motor specs
0b0f137ac157e3c8a44044d29a0f96cf.jpg

Back