Damage assessment help

DeadGuyAle

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Quick introduction so you know what you are dealing with
Retirement looms in the near future so like others here decided to build a little shop. Very limited experience with machining but some exposure. So kind of need to keep it simple and forgiving as I wander through this.

Purchased a Clausing 4904 that I suspect saw some time in a school environment
Ol #3 looks like she got some use prior to being auctioned off around 2017 to the individual I purchased from.

3782589F-BF7E-490A-938D-DD1767F697FE.jpeg
7A96F10C-B470-4590-A958-6708AE82E3C4.jpeg
Good news is, ways, leadscrew, spindle look to be in reasonably good shape.
Less than good part is, it’s been crashed with the cross slide, tool post slide and compound slide all taking some damage.
8195C66B-0D0B-4FEB-9380-7BDD56AEAB38.jpeg
And a somewhat crude repair.
I can imagine a conversation between the welding shop instructor and the machine shop instructor taking place. Obviously the school didn’t have a mill

Previous owner said it cut a slight concave on facing but never checked it out.

Cross slide with repaired area highlighted with black felt pen

2A20C83F-DFCA-43FB-A4B3-DEF77373245C.jpeg

CC9F9F94-6C24-4FA3-A5BE-3E2063FB6097.jpeg
FD981A94-BA1A-44AA-9BAD-8547DD286994.jpeg
Repair does not extend to the ways, not seeing unusual signs of wear.
Cross slide screw and nut are beyond help, Clausing actually had this assembly available.
cross slide is discontinued as is the compound slide.
Prior to dissembling I ran an indicator across both sides, near zero movement.

View attachment trim.66E3E591-F92D-49DF-90B6-23C9D8144DC0.MOV

Compound slide took some minor damage
5D3A4CCB-4369-47DE-8131-54321E4C5C5D.jpeg
And the tool post holder
9E19AC1E-3848-402A-A411-457631A1A061.jpeg4E7D08CE-22B9-4676-873E-4B5E1D59D0EA.jpeg
How do I go about assessing the damage and overall condition of the assemblies and ways while I have it apart?
Tool post holder and compound are cast, cross slide is steel.
Clausing does have the tool post holder available. Expect that a new one would require some type of mating in to the original ways? Way out of my league here but willing to learn!
Goal is clean things up do what I can to preserve it.

Thanks

not seeing anything of concern there. Some of the repairs are kinda ugly, but as long as they're structurally sound and don't affect function, I wouldn't worry about them. What makes you say the cross slide screw and nut are beyond help? Looks like some wear on the screw, but other than introducing some backlash, that shouldn't affect anything.

What I see is mainly aesthetics. Those issues should have nothing to do with function. However things could have happen during the crashes. Low probability in my opinion.
Is there excess play in the compound and cross slide? I have 1 lathe that has .060 backlash. It is very repeatable in accuracy. ( I do have the replacement nut) no real excuse not to replace

some play can be removed by gib adjustment. Highly recommend this be done anyway.

Is the surface flat and clean where the tool post goes. This is a big must. Check that. If not flat make it flat. If you have a mill or access to one it will be a simple op. If not then draw filing flat will do also. Just more time consuming.
Check to see if the cross and compound lead screws are not bent. Do that by just dialing full travel. Should be same feel all the way. Ming you if you have the gibs adjusted snugly. It most likely will get more resistance on the end travel. Way less wear on those sections.

My suggestion would be. Take apart and inspect and clean one component at a time. Compound then cross-slide. Then fire it up and make some chips. Actually working on the machine will tell you what needs addressed if anything.

Have fun is the main thing.

Cutting oil is my blood.

DeadGuyAle,
Nice score. She will likely serve you well.
As far as assessing her for wear and damage, it really depends on where you want to take her.
As others have said she will likely make chips within normal hobby tolerances.
If you want to do a serious assessment, and as long as you have her apart.....
Score a copy of (. Check our the Engine Lathe chapter (begins at page 256).

Depending on what you have, you may need some additional assessment equipment.
And while it may be intimidating, with careful patience you can do an assessment, and if needed, you can do adjustments repairs without an expensive class.
However, if you have not done this sort of thing before there is a significant learning curve for a rebuild, and a lot of physical labor.

Regardless, before you do more consider sourcing Connellys book (Machine Tool Reconditioning). While I prefer a paper based version, there are digital copies free online. At the very least it will help you appreciate the complexities of a lathe.

Another option is that after an assessment you might also consider reassembly and using her as she stands and making a plan to come back to troublesome parts at a later time. Please remember that this hobby machining and rebuilding can be fun, safe and affordable. Please contact me anytime. I certainly don't have all the answers. But have been in your situation many times before.

Daryl

I agree, mostly just cosmetic uglyness. The screw is pretty worn and likely the nut too
I've seen much worse
Nice machine, it should serve you well

Retirement looms in the near future so like others here decided to build a little shop.
Excellent, congratulations!
My (not too distant) dream is to retire to my shop full of machines and projects.
Having everyday be a weekend sounds great to me.

Congratulations again, because that is a beautiful lathe!

I see nothing of major concern.
I'd run it for any project on my list and let that tell me what it needs (if anything).

Previous owner said it cut a slight concave on facing but never checked it out.
That is worth investigating to confirm, but realize it could have been a measurement error.......

Please keep posting about your progress.

Brian

Last edited:
not seeing anything of concern there. Some of the repairs are kinda ugly, but as long as they're structurally sound and don't affect function, I wouldn't worry about them. What makes you say the cross slide screw and nut are beyond help? Looks like some wear on the screw, but other than introducing some backlash, that shouldn't affect anything.
Thanks for the input! Basically reflects my thoughts as to the damage.
Cross slide had .0370 + of backlash. Not the best picture of the screw, threads are worn to a point and nut is in worse shape. Part is available from Clausing and about a week out so it gets replaced.

Back