Damage assessment help

What I see is mainly aesthetics. Those issues should have nothing to do with function. However things could have happen during the crashes. Low probability in my opinion.
Is there excess play in the compound and cross slide? I have 1 lathe that has .060 backlash. It is very repeatable in accuracy. ( I do have the replacement nut) no real excuse not to replace

some play can be removed by gib adjustment. Highly recommend this be done anyway.

Is the surface flat and clean where the tool post goes. This is a big must. Check that. If not flat make it flat. If you have a mill or access to one it will be a simple op. If not then draw filing flat will do also. Just more time consuming.
Check to see if the cross and compound lead screws are not bent. Do that by just dialing full travel. Should be same feel all the way. Ming you if you have the gibs adjusted snugly. It most likely will get more resistance on the end travel. Way less wear on those sections.

My suggestion would be. Take apart and inspect and clean one component at a time. Compound then cross-slide. Then fire it up and make some chips. Actually working on the machine will tell you what needs addressed if anything.

Have fun is the main thing.

Cutting oil is my blood.
So far in my rather rudimentary checking I have not seen anything that points towards bigger problems. Everything fits tight, no odd wear on the ways.
you can see the weld on the outer edge of the tool post way below. That corner is slightly low but the rest is flat a s far as I see.
49258835-BB89-4F7C-9FBD-D915AF11BC34.jpegHaven't checked if the cross compound screw is straight, good idea. shows little wear and fit with the nut is even from end to end.
All the gib screws were loose and one was broken, uses flat gibs and they appear to be in good condition.

Following the advice to keep the work confined to a single group of items. Will get this all addressed then move on to the apron next.

Thanks for chiming in and for the advice!

I see no no major problems either, nice lathe.
that lathe looks like a hanger queen compared to my SB9 that spent it’s first years in a HS shop, & BTW I’ve usually found the machine shop & the welding shop teacher are the same guy.
if you just can’t stand looking at the damage, and decide to sell it PM me, we live fairly close & it’d look good in my small shop.
cheers

I think you have a very good lathe on your hands. Remember that School lathe’s actually have low hours for their age. Most things are cosmetic. If anything was broken. It would be fixed at the time.

Enjoy that machine.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Looks great from here, nice lathe! I'd never lose a wink of sleep over those repairs, the critical surfaces are intact. Refresh the lead screw(s) and get to frying up some steaming chips.

DeadGuyAle,
Nice score. She will likely serve you well.
As far as assessing her for wear and damage, it really depends on where you want to take her.
As others have said she will likely make chips within normal hobby tolerances.
If you want to do a serious assessment, and as long as you have her apart.....
Score a copy of (. Check our the Engine Lathe chapter (begins at page 256).

Depending on what you have, you may need some additional assessment equipment.
And while it may be intimidating, with careful patience you can do an assessment, and if needed, you can do adjustments repairs without an expensive class.
However, if you have not done this sort of thing before there is a significant learning curve for a rebuild, and a lot of physical labor.

Regardless, before you do more consider sourcing Connellys book (Machine Tool Reconditioning). While I prefer a paper based version, there are digital copies free online. At the very least it will help you appreciate the complexities of a lathe.

Another option is that after an assessment you might also consider reassembly and using her as she stands and making a plan to come back to troublesome parts at a later time. Please remember that this hobby machining and rebuilding can be fun, safe and affordable. Please contact me anytime. I certainly don't have all the answers. But have been in your situation many times before.

Daryl
Thanks Daryl! a copy of Conneiiys book on order, paper is my preference also.

I read your posts on the cross slide work you did for your lathe with great interest. There is a level of skill and patience involved that is amazing with that work.
Honestly if I had an option to send out my saddle, and cross slide components for a tuneup would seriously consider it.

Plans for moving forward are still a work in progress, really enjoy the basic mechanical aspects of simple cleaning, discovery and minor repair work.
There are a number of bushing that need replacement, belts and jackshaft bearings are shot. And there is a slight shudder with the backgear engaged that needs to be chased down.
Most likely for now I'll just get everything cleaned up, functional and leave some patina, love all the blued parts and not that fond of painting.

Thanks for the generous offer of help, odds are we will be in contact

Nice looking lathe . :encourage:
Thanks!
I agree, mostly just cosmetic uglyness. The screw is pretty worn and likely the nut too
I've seen much worse
Nice machine, it should serve you well
New parts on the way, I mistakenly thought that the screw had been lubed with copper never seize until I realized it was just black goop with bronze embedded from the nut. While well lubed it was also well worn
Excellent, congratulations!
My (not too distant) dream is to retire to my shop full of machines and projects.
Having everyday be a weekend sounds great to me.

Congratulations again, because that is a beautiful lathe!

I see nothing of major concern.
I'd run it for any project on my list and let it that tell me what it needs (if anything).

That is worth investigating to confirm, but realize it could have been a measurement error.......

Please keep posting about your progress.

Brian
Thanks for the input Brian. Looking forward to everyday being a Saturday soon.
Pretty happy with finding and getting the little Clausing, enjoying the adventure so far and feeling better about the crashed parts after all the input from the group.
I think you did really well there. Nice machine!
Thanks DavidR8

Looks great from here, nice lathe! I'd never lose a wink of sleep over those repairs, the critical surfaces are intact. Refresh the lead screw(s) and get to frying up some steaming chips.
Thanks pontiac428 I'm still working on my shop space and waiting to cut some chips on the RF-30
Need to stay off marketplace and craigslist and get some work done.

Exact same machine I learned on in High School metal shop 40 years ago.
That's cool, I don't remember the lathe we had in HS shop. Was more focused on the electronics shop and other than welding did not do much in the machine area.

I see no no major problems either, nice lathe.
that lathe looks like a hanger queen compared to my SB9 that spent it’s first years in a HS shop, & BTW I’ve usually found the machine shop & the welding shop teacher are the same guy.
if you just can’t stand looking at the damage, and decide to sell it PM me, we live fairly close & it’d look good in my small shop.
cheers

Hey Manual Mac,
Thinking about it at my HS we had an automotive shop with a single lathe, no machine shop. Same teacher as the welding shop though!

I can adjust and learn to live with the cosmetic damage:). If and when I get some skills with the mill, might touch up a a couple minor high spots and see if I can get the screw cover plate to sit straight. Would be nice not to have to look at counter sunk screws that kind of fit into the countersink

The little Clausing is a keeper. Kind of fits into the current path of fixing up older equipment for my developing shop.

Thanks!

Back