Damage assessment help

Being one of the only professional machine rebuilders on the forum I can see the lead screw is shot. It's an acme screw and it has sharp edges or the pitch when it is suppose to be square. You can buy a treaded rod and bronze nut that you will have to machine and fit to your machine. Buying from these guys are surely 1/4 the price new if you can buy them from Clausing. I can talk you through it, on how to do it . I suspect the welded area's made that area grow and need to be scraped. I have never seen a steel cross-slide unless it was done by the school teacher. It looks original cast iron though. I have students in Portland and Oregon City near you who could help you. I've taught 4 or 5 scraping classes at Columbia Steel in Portland and I taught a young man named Hunter Hightower who lives in Oregon City who I am sure can help you. Send me a private message and I'll forward your info to Hunter and Tim. A friend of mine Tim Besmer is a rebuilder in Tennessee who specializes in Clausings and I bet he has parts,
Thanks jumping and and providing input Richard!
I already purchased a new cross slide screw/nut from Clausing. Will keep the original around as future project so link provided is helpful and am interested in what the proper approach would be. Will start a conversation around that at a later date.

You are correct that the cross slide is cast not steel. Lack of knowledge and assumption that is must be other than cast because is was welded. But it is very obviously cast when given a second look.

Would be very interested in possibly connecting with Hunter and have sent a PM your way.

steve

I gave Hunter through his Dad Thomas your name and info you sent me. Hopefully they have contacted you?

I gave Hunter through his Dad Thomas your name and info you sent me. Hopefully they have contacted you?
Not yet Richard, appreciate passing my info along and will see what happens. It's all good

Back