Damage assessment help

Thinking this chapter can be brought to a close with a general sigh of relief on my part.

In summary damage is looking to be just cosmetic.
There are options to address - skillset required.
Connellys book (Machine Tool Reconditioning
Ordered for some education on my part.
Thanks for all the responses and assistance!

I'll start another thread for the soon to be ongoing work on the 4904 covering cleanup, some documentation and repair.

Thanks
Steve

The Clausing is definitely is a keeper.
Yeah, I like older machinery as well.
I keep bumping into my Sears 103.27270 King Seeley 10” table saw, & my Red Star/Delta 40A multiplex 12” radial arm saw, & my Davis & Wells 6” Jointer from the 40s in my shop. It is so rewarding to use quality tools.
But, alas I’ve run out of room. Need to thin out some stock I guess.
I’m down to one motorcycle, so I guess that’s a start.
Cheers

That's funny and good job!
I’m down to one motorcycle, so I guess that’s a start.
I need to reduce my three down to ☝️ B6D1DF5C-9A99-4337-AA86-4939913B8A67.jpeg
New space looks so spacious add a car three motorcycles ....

@DeadGuyAle Frankly I've seen far worse repairs and the lathe was still quite usable. I know you will love it once you've used it a while.

very nice score.

In reading this I saw that you are dealing with Clausing too. They are great. Just so you know. When you call them go to the tech department. Faster service than the parts depth. Tech department can also check in stock or out of stock or discontinued. If Clausing has discontinued a part that tech guy can ail you the drawings for that part. Handy service. I'm still looking for a small lathe myself. I did find a Crsftsman Comercial 11x40 for 900. But with my small area I would like a 30 in bed or shorter.
Have fun.
Mike

Oldseabee,
Thanks for the info on the Clausing tech department! They have been great to deal with but it would cool to have the drawings to see the original specs.

Last edited:
That's funny and good job!

I need to reduce my three down to ☝️ View attachment 429060
New space looks so spacious add a car three motorcycles ....
That's nothing. Add 3 cars (Mustang, Corvette and a Mini cooper), a tractor (JD x750) and two 1100 cc+ bikes and you're getting close to how much I have jammed into a 2 car garage.....plus benches, boxes, welders, plasma cutter, Mill, lathe, drill press, etc, etc.

I think I'd get agoraphobia in your shop space.....lol!

Use an indicator off a chuck or face plate and swing your indicator against a dowel pin placed in the way.
You can see if your cross slide is Perpendicular to the spindle center line. 16732272099694848968277248663166.jpg16732273795968003303038603352769.jpg

Being one of the only professional machine rebuilders on the forum I can see the lead screw is shot. It's an acme screw and it has sharp edges or the pitch when it is suppose to be square. You can buy a treaded rod and bronze nut that you will have to machine and fit to your machine. Buying from these guys are surely 1/4 the price new if you can buy them from Clausing. I can talk you through it, on how to do it . I suspect the welded area's made that area grow and need to be scraped. I have never seen a steel cross-slide unless it was done by the school teacher. It looks original cast iron though. I have students in Portland and Oregon City near you who could help you. I've taught 4 or 5 scraping classes at Columbia Steel in Portland and I taught a young man named Hunter Hightower who lives in Oregon City who I am sure can help you. Send me a private message and I'll forward your info to Hunter and Tim. A friend of mine Tim Besmer is a rebuilder in Tennessee who specializes in Clausings and I bet he has parts,

Last edited:
Use an indicator off a chuck or face plate and swing your indicator against a dowel pin placed in the way.
You can see if your cross slide is Perpendicular to the spindle center line. View attachment 432729View attachment 432730
Thanks sdelivery! Have not put much thought into how to assess if cross slide is Perpendicular to the spindle center line. It's crossed my mind so this will give me a starting point to play with.

Back