Dang it's hot

111 degrees here in Redmond (Central) Oregon today. At 11:00pm it is now down to 85 degrees. I am waiting for it to get cooler before I go out and unpack the used drill press I picked up today. My GF wants to go camping at Diamond Lake tomorrow through Sunday. It is only suppoed to get up to 85 there tomorrow (higher elevation). We reserverd and paid for our campsite at the beginning of the year. I am not sure how long I am going to want to stay there though. Our Class B RV doesn't have AC and going camping just to sit inside the RV to keep cool kind of defeats the purpose.

This is how hot it was in Portland today. I finally took my pet to my basement shop where it was 90 degrees - fully 15 degrees cooler than the main floor of my home.

Was past 100 degs F in my shop today. Had thoughts of working on the CNC router or maybe the bike.
I lasted about 15 mins.
Supposed to be even hotter tomorrow. Set an all-time high temp record of 46.6 deg C in the interior of BC today.
Have you considered a mini-split A/C? I just installed one in my Phoenix AZ shop and it is heaven. I installed a non-DIY. Not that expensive. Doubles as heater in winter (not that we have much of a winter in Phoenix). BTW...119 two weeks ago. Dry heat.

Last edited:
Have you considered a mini-split A/C? I just installed one in my Phoenix AZ shop and it is heaven. I installed a non-DIY. Not that expensive. Doubles as heater in winter (not that we have much of a winter in Phoenix). BTW...119 two weeks ago. Dry heat.
Ordinarily temps are not a problem here as summer is typically around 23-25C. We had a high pressure "heat dome" that saw highs up to 40C so nearly twice as hot as normal.

Ordinarily temps are not a problem here as summer is typically around 23-25C. We had a high pressure "heat dome" that saw highs up to 40C so nearly twice as hot as normal.
Spent some time in Portland years ago. It was 106 and nobody had A/C. That was rough. Obviously in Phoenix A/C is not optional.

I worked in Saudi Arabia back in 79-80, temp was a steady 126F zero humidity . After a week or so I got used to it. Also it hadn't rained there in 23 years. Gas was 10 cents a gallon, water 30 cents a gallon.
I was there ten years after you. We did get rain (or moisture I should say), for a day or so, then grass sprung up everywhere, for a week or so. I was just thinking, how we could stand the 120's, there, but here 100 sucks (dry here also). Difference is the acclimation, and no AC, if it is hot outside, and hot inside, you do not mind going outside as much.

Attachments

• Picturescan 020.jpg
    Picturescan 020.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 2
Odd that California has missed this hot spell. We just have the normal hot (Redding 103-105°, low 90s here at 4k'). I was looking into moving to BC to escape the wildfires and insanity, but it appears I'm undesirable. It may not matter, there may be no escape.

Back