DEE DEE is another interesting watch on You-Tube

I pay the $18.99 a month (no adds) only because I too don't like adds and I spend too much time watching Youtube.
But, you can get so much good information on the Tube
I spend that on YouTube, and I support some of the creators that I watch all the time through Patrion to encourage them to continue.

He broke a number of small mills and discusses what the issue is when it happened.
True, but never mentioned or addressed the true issue & continued to have them sticking way out despite them continuing to break.
Please look at these 3 moments in the video and see that they could have been so much further in the collet.
10:32 - 10:40 - 11:15.
There was no reason whatsoever to have them sticking out anywhere near as far as they were, it looked over double the depth required.

To any aspiring machinists, please keep all tooling as rigid as you can.

Di
True, but never mentioned or addressed the true issue & continued to have them sticking way out despite them continuing to break.
Please look at these 3 moments in the video and see that they could have been so much further in the collet.
10:32 - 10:40 - 11:15.
There was no reason whatsoever to have them sticking out anywhere near as far as they were, it looked over double the depth required.

To any aspiring machinists, please keep all tooling as rigid as you can.
What I saw were extended shank end mills that were likely in the collet as far as they would go; you can't shove them in past the end of the drawbar. When he switched to conventional shank cutters, you could see he had them engaged in the collet properly, as the shanks were sufficiently short enough to allow it. Looked to me like he did what he could, with what he had on hand.

Di

What I saw were extended shank end mills that were likely in the collet as far as they would go; you can't shove them in past the end of the drawbar. When he switched to conventional shank cutters, you could see he had them engaged in the collet properly, as the shanks were sufficiently short enough to allow it. Looked to me like he did what he could, with what he had on hand.
agreed

The extended shank cutters had a reduced shank so they could not go in past the nominal shank diameter as they would not grip.
There were 3 other options, all much better choices. At 10:13 there was a gold cutter which could have gone in the collet much further and had a thicker shank. Also there was the cutter in the centre which was similar which could have been engaged right to the top of the flutes. Both of these would protrude around half of what the reduced shank ones did and had sufficient flute lengths. These longer cutters should have only been used to finish the bottom of the pocket & the sides. He was using an R8 collet so there was plenty of room to push these cutters way back to the top of their flutes of required.

The extended shank cutters had a reduced shank so they could not go in past the nominal shank diameter as they would not grip.
There were 3 other options, all much better choices. At 10:13 there was a gold cutter which could have gone in the collet much further and had a thicker shank. Also there was the cutter in the centre which was similar which could have been engaged right to the top of the flutes. Both of these would protrude around half of what the reduced shank ones did and had sufficient flute lengths. These longer cutters should have only been used to finish the bottom of the pocket & the sides. He was using an R8 collet so there was plenty of room to push these cutters way back to the top of their flutes of required.
An R8 collets has a limit, the drawbar threads into the top of them. My R8 collets are around 2" long and the draw bar is in the top of them roughly 1/2". He discussed the issue and the solution was to take shallower cuts.

My R8 collets are 4" long, plenty of room to hold these cutters right up to the top of their flutes and still have more than enough flute length to machine the sides of the pocket.

Back