DEE DEE is another interesting watch on You-Tube

My R8 collets are 4" long, plenty of room to hold these cutters right up to the top of their flutes and still have more than enough flute length to machine the sides of the pocket.
As he explained( and it was easy to see ) the really long end mills his buddy gave hime, had relieved shanks. I don't care if your R8 collets are a foot long, you can't put the end mill into the collet beyond where the relief starts. And besides, he clearly states at the end of the video, that his initial attempts were poorly executed, and finally figured out what he should have done all along. But if you enjoy beating a dead horse, then feel free to keep on swinging, you're doing great!

Cheer up.

See my post #28 where I addressed the issue of the relieved shanks. I also stated that they were the wrong choice & any of the other cutters could be held right to the top of the flutes with more than enough flute length to clean the sides of the pocket.

he clearly states at the end of the video, that his initial attempts were poorly executed, and finally figured out what he should have done all along.
I liked that part of the video.
It seems that these "YouTube Stars" can all make a complicated piece in 15 minutes. Every cut is perfect, and surface finishes are always useful mirrors.
For some of us wannabees that spend all day to make boogered-up scrap, that gets depressing.
It's nice to see someone with a "box of shame", and admits to wasting a day on a single part that he had to remake. A relief to have the perspective that you can't expect those beautiful parts he makes in 15 minutes. Yeah. He used the "wrong" endmill. But, buddy, do I have some stories to tell you!

Thanks for appreciating the tool selection & application were not ideal.

My initial point was that despite almost 1500 comments and now reaching 500k views, nobody pointed this out. I found that unbelieveable and worth a mention.

True, but never mentioned or addressed the true issue & continued to have them sticking way out despite them continuing to break.
Please look at these 3 moments in the video and see that they could have been so much further in the collet.
10:32 - 10:40 - 11:15.
There was no reason whatsoever to have them sticking out anywhere near as far as they were, it looked over double the depth required.

To any aspiring machinists, please keep all tooling as rigid as you can.
Oh, thaaat video.

Yeah, there was dumbassery afoot there. I was shaking my head.

I liked that part of the video.
It seems that these "YouTube Stars" can all make a complicated piece in 15 minutes. Every cut is perfect, and surface finishes are always useful mirrors.
For some of us wannabees that spend all day to make boogered-up scrap, that gets depressing.
It's nice to see someone with a "box of shame", and admits to wasting a day on a single part that he had to remake. A relief to have the perspective that you can't expect those beautiful parts he makes in 15 minutes. Yeah. He used the "wrong" endmill. But, buddy, do I have some stories to tell you!
The thing for me is he's really smart and can make some beautiful parts.

But taking out 3 good endmills in a row making the same mistake? Maybe my years in the trades has caused me to lose perspective?

Maybe him not having a boss and 12 journeymen pointing out his mistakes and belittling him led to this?

Me 35yrs ago during my apprenticeship, doing this, and I would have been cleaning sumps and painting the dirt courtyard for days.

Just some perspective from someone who painted a lot of dirt back in the day.

Thanks for appreciating the tool selection & application were not ideal.

My initial point was that despite almost 1500 comments and now reaching 500k views, nobody pointed this out. I found that unbelieveable and worth a mention.
I have a hard time with the comments section.

Similar to here, any critique and people fall all apart. Take it from someone who has been there, is still there and knows damn well I will be there for a long time, occasionally you will feel like you suck at everything. I still do sometimes.

The trick is not minding that you make dumb mistakes, like is the case with inheritance, but making the mistakes and still going forward knowing that at the very least you're not a lump sitting on the sofa waiting for you're next feeding waiting for Merve Griffin to come on.

You are actually trying to be something out of the ordinary, and that is an achievement in and of its self.

This is not meant for you, whiskey, Wood, Pontiac and the like, its for the guys who feel they will never get good and don't like constructive criticism.

I feel the same way sometimes.

My issue was with no viewers or commenters had the very basic understanding of tool support or afraid to mention it. If I wanted to go all in I could have mentioned. Aluminium is softer than copper. Or protecting a parts finish is achieved by spreading the clamping load, not condensing it onto a thin line. Or that the clamping tabs were not required to protect the hardened jaws from the soft set screws.....

My issue was with no viewers or commenters had the very basic understanding of tool support or afraid to mention it. If I wanted to go all in I could have mentioned. Aluminium is softer than copper. Or protecting a parts finish is achieved by spreading the clamping load, not condensing it onto a thin line. Or that the clamping tabs were not required to protect the hardened jaws from the soft set screws.....
I think that 99.9999% of the commenters are from people with no practical machining knowledge whatsoever.

This view comes from watching a ****tonne of Paki truck and 3rd world manufacturing where the commenters gush over every wildly inefficient and completely unsafe repairs.

As to the video at hand.

8:35 is a good example of his intelligence overpowering his shop knowledge. He maths out all of the time saving steps he's going to use, and every aspect of this is going to cost him buckets of time and put a lot of wear on his "Finish" tooling.

Not to mention the horrendous sickout on the 1/4" endmill.

Just lay out your boundaries with dychem, then get in there with a 1/2" mill and blast all of the material out saving .050 all around for cleanup with the 1/4" mill. This can even be done with dull tooling as your not after finish at this point.

In his defense he did say he overthought the whole thing, but those lil tabs, while completely un necessary were kinds a nice touch.

Not at all needed for this, but a neat idea to stash away for some other application.

If we look at where he got the new endmills, this was a disaster waiting to happen.

He needed an extra 1/4"of flute length and the undercut endmill was the right idea, but the ones he was giver were clearenced for 2" and werent the right tool for the job. They were beautiful endmills, but more suited for taking .010 material way deep down in a pocket an the rare occasion that solution is needed, not for this.

If you look at 10:40 its no wonder he breaks this one, he's staring into the work when the info he should be relying on is on the DRO.

But taking out 3 good endmills in a row making the same mistake? Maybe my years in the trades has caused me to lose perspective?
I've been trying to make the perfect wrench for my lathe. So far, I'm up to eight endmills.
Granted, it is my first attempt at making something from steel with a CNC. . . but. . .

Back