Destroying a "MYTH"

I thought they came pretty close to a stupid ANSWER in "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull"(or whatever the name is).

He was looking for an alien corpse that had a powerful magnetic field. He took some ammunition apart,and threw the gun powder into the air. It was attracted to the corpse because of the METAL in the powder!!!!!! I think they need to pay the writer LESS who thought that one up!!!!!

Bill,I filled my plastic ice cube tray with hot water as you suggested. I have heard that hot water freezes quicker,but they don't know why. There's a name for this effect.

However,My question is this: When I filled the ice cube tray with hot water,it made the tray droop more. Now I can not fill the tray as full as I can with cold water. So,I have the dilemma of having smaller ice cubes. I don't desire smaller ice cubes. What can I do about the drooping ice tray?

it is called the MPEMBA EFFECT, hot water freezing faster than cold.

As for your dilemma of the smaller ice cubes you have not given sufficient info. What is the tray made of. What chemicals could be in your water to react with the material, etc. If you want to skirt all this, just use two ice cubes and get used to the clinking sound that follows.

"Billy G"

I don't know what they're made of. Some kind of blue stuff!! Anyway,enough foolishness from me!!:)

I have a professionally developed sense of (xxxxxxx) questions. I used to have 3000 people a day in the musical instrument shop,at least during the Summers for 16 years!!! One lady came in and asked Marcus about the wood. He said we used seasoned wood. She asked what we seasoned the wood with. He told her oregano,thyme,and named a few other spices. She went away perfectly happy.

Two old ladies were outside the shop arguing whether a small bird in a 6 foot tall bush outside the door was real. Finally,the bird flew away. That stopped the argument!!:) No kidding.

People even left their kids in the shop. I had to wait for some time after we closed one day,with about an 8 year old girl until her parents finally came back looking for her. They were lucky I was the one taking care of her! Much longer and I'd have had to call security. But,I thought maybe the parents might not know we had a security staff for them to call. So,I waited.

I told you I was good at this. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

"Billy G"

The "hot water freezes faster" thing is just another myth. And I have anecdotal evidence to prove it. I filled one ice tray with hot water and another with cold water, then sat them both on the counter by the sink yesterday. Neither one has frozen, yet. And, before all you amateur scientist jump on me, yes, the counter top is level. Ha! Another myth busted! My job here is done.

You guys better be careful, he,s checking that list and I,m not sure this passes.

That was a quick catch,Bill!!!:):):)

I WAS going to try grinding their tops flat in the surface grinder,but for some reason,the magnetic chuck doesn't seem to hold them.
I think if you hit them with liquid nitrogen you could clamp them in your mills vice and cut them flat with a face mill.:lmao:
Dave

Well I am a noob when it comes to metal and have posted a number of questions and observations her and was welcomed by all. Thank you everyone for your helpful contributions as well as your future support as a new wanna be machinist.

I tell my kids that we all have to start somewhere and even if you are wrong, as long as you learned something that is all that counts. Of course it is fun to send the young guy out for the board stretcher every once in a while...:roflmao:

A small piece of packing under the feet on one side of the fridge will cure the problem in the future . I cannot tell if it's right or left because you forgot to post photographs.
Brian.

Back