Dipping into the Arduino Uno pool- Now what?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Mark (markba633csi) helped me identify and purchase these first step parts.

Arduino UNO R3 board
DRV 8825 Board
2004 LCD Display
16 Key Matrix Keypad

I have this stepper motor coming

Based on the parts I've put together, what would be the next step?
I plan on driving the motor to run an OD grinding fixture as my first experiment.
This is an effort to become familiar, as a first step, to the magic of Arduino components.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

Attachments

• step 1.jpg
    step 1.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 11
  • step 2.jpg
    step 2.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 10
  • step 3.jpg
    step 3.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 10
Electronics are not my friend, but I just ordered one of these kits from Amazon last week to try and change that. Its got a lot of basic parts includes a bunch of beginner projects.

Elegoo Mega 2560 "The most complete starter kit"
I’m glad to have a friend join me for this journey. I bought the kit also.
That way I have some gadgets to program for practice.

Been messing with Arduinos and other microcontrollers for probably 10 years now. Couple of quick fun projects to get you started...

• Blink the built-in LED
  • Blink an LED connected to a digital output pin (understand why you NEED a current limiting resistor)
  • Read a button and print the state to the serial monitor (learn about hardware pullup resistors)
  • Blink the light slowly, but switch to fast when the button is held
  • Print "Hello World" to your display
  • Print a paragraph to the display, advance a line each time a button is pressed.
  • Make a simple menu with "Up", "Down", "Enter" and "Back" buttons wired in
  • Download the stepper libraries and make the motor spin one revolution
  • Index the stepper 10 turns each time a button is pressed.
  • Index the stepper based on a menu selection and print the position to the LED display.

Arduino UNO is plenty powerful to get you started, but it is slow by the standards of many micros on the market. If you find it limiting, shop around.

Her's a good place to start. Do it as you watch. He's got over 40 vids and is easy to understand even if a bit quirky.
Aaron

Good idea.
I watched several of his videos when I unsuccessfully tried to learn Fusion 360.

Been messing with Arduinos and other microcontrollers for probably 10 years now. Couple of quick fun projects to get you started...

• Blink the built-in LED
  • Blink an LED connected to a digital output pin (understand why you NEED a current limiting resistor)
  • Read a button and print the state to the serial monitor (learn about hardware pullup resistors)
  • Blink the light slowly, but switch to fast when the button is held
  • Print "Hello World" to your display
  • Print a paragraph to the display, advance a line each time a button is pressed.
  • Make a simple menu with "Up", "Down", "Enter" and "Back" buttons wired in
  • Download the stepper libraries and make the motor spin one revolution
  • Index the stepper 10 turns each time a button is pressed.
  • Index the stepper based on a menu selection and print the position to the LED display.

Arduino UNO is plenty powerful to get you started, but it is slow by the standards of many micros on the market. If you find it limiting, shop around.
I understand it can run my 1.5 amp motor. That’s the end goal. Hopefully I’ll pick up other nuggets along the way.

I think your stepper motor board you show is just a break out, and you still would need the driver board to plug in to it.

Eric

Attachments

• a4988.jpg
    a4988.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2
I understand it can run my 1.5 amp motor. That’s the end goal. Hopefully I’ll pick up other nuggets along the way.
Your DRV 8825 board will power the stepper. I was more discussing computational power.

Have fun with this :)

Back