Dipping into the Arduino Uno pool- Now what?

Maybe a TB6612?

always wanted to go down the Arduino wabit hole, bought a kit over 10yrs ago……
I’ve been binge watching Paul’s videos. I got to #5 but now I see how variables and binary numbers work.
Whew, talk about an old dog and a new trick. This is new territory for this old dog.
We’ll take this really slow so I fully understand it before I move forward.
I’ll make up a simple circuit with variables first.

I’ve been binge watching Paul’s videos. I got to #5 but now I see how variables and binary numbers work.
Whew, talk about an old dog and a new trick. This is new territory for this old dog.
We’ll take this really slow so I fully understand it before I move forward.
I’ll make up a simple circuit with variables first.
That's how it's done. For the most part, just try and see what happens. Pretty hard to go wrong - but stuff might not work. That's ok, just try again. If you get stuck, there's the Arduino forums, or here. HM allows posting code, so for small programs you can just post it here. The symbol for code posting is the </> icon. Have fun!

Once you graduate to big actuators or motors, then things get serious. By the time you get that point, you should have picked up most of what you need to know. Start small and easy, and plug away at it. It's fun when you get things to work, especially when you have stretched your limits.

Jeff,
I'll pass along a suggestion based on something I heard from another student in school. "I've never written a computer program, I've just modified the h*ll out of them". Don't be afraid to find a program and change one little thing.

Jeff: The 8825 will provide plenty of current for your NEMA 17 stepper. It's a good driver. It is still on the way? I see the socket board
but not the driver itself. You could get one quickly from pololu.com if needed
Examine the 2004 LCD does it have a small board on the back with 4 pins? It has to have the I2C interface to work with this project
You need to download the Arduino app (go to the Arduino website) to your laptop and configure it to talk to the board. Do the blink test.
I'll upload the code for the "dummies" project when you are ready
-Mark

Last edited:
Also, inside the Arduino IDE (IDE = Integrated Development Environment) under File > Examples there are the built-in examples, and below that are some more examples. If you get stuck, just ask. I'd download and install the version 1.8.19 Arduino IDE. It is the latest stable release. Yes, there is a new one in the works, but stick with stable.

Well shoot.
I tried to download the software but got a snag.
It says a bundled java runtime environment is corrupt or missing.

I have no idea what this means. I have java on this PC

Well shoot.
I tried to download the software but got a snag.
It says a bundled java runtime environment is corrupt or missing.

I have no idea what this means. I have java on this PC
Windows, I presume? Which version? What version of java is on your PC now?
Could be a bad download of the Arduino SW. Download it again and see if you get the same error.

I’m glad to have a friend join me for this journey. I bought the kit also.
That way I have some gadgets to program for practice.

Yeah I see talk about ardino and Raspberry Pi and my eyes glaze over. I don't have any immediate plans, but thought it can't hurt to start learning some basics so when I do have a need I will have a shallower learning curve. I had some basic electronics classes when I was a kid where I plugged in LEDs, capacitors, transistors and such and enjoyed the simple projects, but that was a long time ago and in general electrical work and I have not been friends. I understand the basic concepts, can wire in a new outlet, light or switch but it is mostly magic to me. ;)

Back