Dividing Head

Rifleman1384

Registered
Registered
Question for the group, I have a Bridgeport Mill and have decided I NEED a dividing head. SO BS-0 or BS-1, what do you have? Pro-Cons and brand, I'm leaning towards a PM but not opposed to another brand. I would rather not buy something that has to be rebuilt out of the box if possible, cleanup and tweaking is no big deal. I would prefer to either get one with a chuck starting out or will want to get a chuck ordered at the same time.

PM?
Vertex?
Best place to order if the Vertex is the way to go.

Thanks,
Steve

I have the PM BS1 and I’m happy with it.
Yes I took it apart cleaned it up oiled everything but no big problems.

I bought one of the following on a lark and have been surprised that it is pretty well made. I disassembled it completely and cleaned and lubed everything, found tons of grit and some sand, but otherwise the machining work was fine - not nearly as good as my Vertex rotary table, but serviceable, made in India. I did have a lot of issues with the sector arms, and ended up making my own replacements with a better spring tensioning mechanism. So it wasn’t plug-n-play flawless. At the time, PM was not offering a dividing head.

If the PM version is made in Taiwan, that would be a higher quality unit. My guess is that the PM version is from Taiwan given the 5 year warranty, but check with them first.

I would go with the B&S1 at least; the one I use is a original B&S 2 universal, I would definitely go with one that has tilt capability.

ended up making my own replacements with a better spring tensioning mechanism
David,
Would you please post some pics showing your modification.
I agree, I have the same unit. The sector arms leave a bunch to be desired.
Thank you

David,
Would you please post some pics showing your modification.
I agree, I have the same unit. The sector arms leave a bunch to be desired.
Thank you
When I get back from this sailboat delivery, I will. Couple of weeks out. In the meantime, think ”spring steel”.

I used to b
How do you lift it?
John knows how to use a universal.
I used to be able to lift it, but no more! I put up a barn door track above the mill and hung a HF winch to it, I made a lifting bracket that fits through the spindle with a L shaped flat bar bracket with an eye bolt for the winch hook so that the dividing head is relatively balanced in the horizontal position. When not in use, it sits on a shelf next to the mill.

Back