Dividing Head

So... How many of you just let such a dividing head just live at the end of the mill table?
If so how large is your table?

Don't have my mil yet but readily leave my tailstock on the end of a 36" lathe bed.
I'm wondering if I can get away with a bs1 at the end of a 9x32 table...

I do, I have to admit. The dividing head sits to the left of the table, offsetting the weight of the X power feed and vice sat over to the right. Works well on a 9x42 Bridgeport, though aided by being able to swing the turret in certain situations. Could be a pain on a fixed column mill, I suppose.

I'm planning to buy a dividing head but can't figure out if I want a BS-0 or BS-1. I think the BS-0 would be nice because it's lighter and I don't think I'd really need the extra capacity of the BS-1. I have a 5" 3 jaw chuck that would great on the BS-0, but it doesn't have any adjustability for runout. I have a 6" independent 4 jaw chuck that would allow me to get the parts running true, but as I understand it a 6" chuck won't fit on a BS-0. Anyone have any thoughts on whether i should go with a BS-0 or BS-1? While I can currently handle 78 pounds without needing a crane of some sort I'm not sure how long I'll be interested in doing that. I don't really want to buy another 5" for adjustability because the next chuck I wanna get is a 6" 6 jaw adjust tru.

I bought the 0 size.
I took it out of the box, tore it down, cleaned it up, oiled and reassembled. Put it back in the box.
I figure I'll figure it out when I have more time.
27 days to go :)

42” table, I could, but I don’t. It’s not that heavy and I’m old man strong, plus it would just complicate cleanup. Which I found out while leaving my 12” Bridgeport rotary table on there, because it IS that heavy.

Got the PM BS-1 in. Got it cleaned, lubed and on the Bridgeport 9x42. Way over on the left, it still takes considerable space. If I need to use a long part in it, I'll have to pull the vise off. It might live there for a while. I haven't decided yet. The keys are a quite tight fit, makes it irritating to remove. I used it to make a little gear, worked quite well, very smooth to work with. It wasn't even that dirty inside. The chuck was actually worse, but even that wasn't bad.

PM did an excellent job packing it for shipping. Even UPS couldn't beat it up.

1) I bought the lowest price BS-0 on eBay. It was surprisingly good, and has worked admirably on several projects to date. I'd buy it again if needed.

2) Regarding sailboat dellivery: I cannot think of anything that looks like less fun to me. Perhaps flying through a cell, but at least it's over quickly. One way or the other. My hat is off to your courage to set sail in small boats in a big ocean.
Sailing can be quite fun. It's like machining.. it requires you to calculate which way to heal over, which sails to use.
I only spent one season learning, and am a total novice, but there's way more going on than a power boat. it's not boring, it's challenging, and just so cool....

But any craft, whether it be water craft, air craft is a good way to burn through money...
I like sail boat and sailplanes, because both are challenging.
Yes I like powerful motors, and a fighter plane really excites me, especially when the after burners kick in. But I like the challenge..

Very dramatic music, is this the one you're on now?

John

benmychree , would you post a picture of the selector arms your talking about that have the graduations on them ? Is that something that should be added to the clones ? I’ve never used a dividing head and am trying to learn as much about them . I have a 10” Phase 2 rotary table and tail stock but no diving plates . As heavy as it is i I would probably get a small one like David linked too instead of plates for the Phase 2

benmychree , would you post a picture of the selector arms your talking about that have the graduations on them ? Is that something that should be added to the clones ? I’ve never used a dividing head and am trying to learn as much about them . I have a 10” Phase 2 rotary table and tail stock but no diving plates . As heavy as it is i I would probably get a small one like David linked too instead of plates for the Phase 2
is this what you are looking for?

1638314087106.png

Back