Dividing Head

The B&S clones lack one important detail on the sector arms compared to the original which is graduated near it's mounting hole; the graduation relates to a column in the table of divisions the their milling machine book, titled (graduation), for each division the arms are set to the graduation noted in the book and there is no counting holes, and the ever so easy mistake in counting, generally junking your job; been there, done that.
The original "potato chip" spring works just fine on the dividing heads that I have had and used; an original B&S and a "News" clone made by the Yamato Iron Works in Japan.

It seems to me all of the awnings should have been folded, and secured in that much wind. But my boats had motors :)

Sounds like a great job delivering boats. I have owned a couple of sailboats, but now live in Arizona. The nearest decent sailing area is over 6 hours away, so, there went sailing from my activity list. My last one was a pilot cutter, and handled the rough stuff really well. With the cutter sail configuration, it was amazing in light winds too.

Last edited:
It seems to me all of the awnings should have been folded, and secured in that much wind. But my boats had motors :)
certainly they weren't doing anything. And yea, they could have been a big distraction if they folded and caused damage or knocked one of them out.

I've owned a House-boat and a Powerboat, both were great fun (and expensive), and now I have access to numerous friends' power boats. Sailing is something I've always wanted to get into, but I think that boat already sailed for me (pun intended) :laughing:

For what its worth, i have a PM branded BS-0 diving head. Seems just fine, no complaints. I choose the BS-0 because my interest is in making small gear for things like RC cars, and the BS-1 is quite a bit bigger and heavier. I have a PM-30mv mill for reference. On a Bridgeport, a BS-1 would probably be right at home. Or get a BS-2 and make spirals for fun.

BOAT:
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

fursphere: I am looking at the BS-2, Not sure for me if I can justify the bank on that one. It never stopped me before and it's in stock at PM.

1) I bought the lowest price BS-0 on eBay. It was surprisingly good, and has worked admirably on several projects to date. I'd buy it again if needed.

2) Regarding sailboat dellivery: I cannot think of anything that looks like less fun to me. Perhaps flying through a cell, but at least it's over quickly. One way or the other. My hat is off to your courage to set sail in small boats in a big ocean.

Back