Do you guys know BlondiHacks, Joe Pieczynski, Abom 79 ???

Lots of interesting stuff on the 'tube, for sure, but somehow I really struggle with video clips as a means of instruction. They're great for demonstration and exhibition, really well-suited to that, but video as a medium is poor for the conveyance of information, so I find my self getting frustrated and shuttling through videos on account of slow pacing and weak content. It's a signal-to-noise type of thing for me, which leads me to ask: Read any good books lately? Does anyone read anymore? This isn't meant to be insulting, I like this forum and respect it's members. I've just had some awkward experiences trying to teach others how to do basic shop work and been asked for YouTube links. I kind of shrug and say I just gave a thorough explanation of the process, then recommend some reading and suggest they come back when they figure it out. Does that make me a 40-something curmudgeon who is stuck in 1990, intolerant of millennial behavior or is it something else? There's something about me that my colleagues find amusing. Whenever anyone comes into my office for technical or professional advice, they usually aren't able to leave without a stack of reading material that provides the foundation for the answers to their questions. And I'm usually offended when they don't help themselves by reading it... So, not to bag on YouTube, and definitely not to bag on any of you, but have we started devolving due to time spent gawking at screens?

None of this changes the fact that Clickspring is amazing, Stefan Gotteswinter does incredible work, and Mr. Pete makes me feel like I'm in shop class again. I just don't know if an education can be extracted from watching TV.

I am just learning and I look at a lot of youtube videos. I see Blondihacks, Joe Pieczynski and Abom79 and This Old Tony have a lot of good videos. Do you know any other good videos to watch or follow. These were helpful because a lot of what experienced machinists take for granted, the new guy needs to learn. Sometimes it takes forever just to learn about a new term before I can get to the meat of what I want to do.
yes, got threading left to right from Joe, however he does not correspond,Abom is meticulous, pick up good tips there too

Lots of interesting stuff on the 'tube, for sure, but somehow I really struggle with video clips as a means of instruction. They're great for demonstration and exhibition, really well-suited to that, but video as a medium is poor for the conveyance of information, so I find my self getting frustrated and shuttling through videos on account of slow pacing and weak content. It's a signal-to-noise type of thing for me, which leads me to ask: Read any good books lately? Does anyone read anymore? This isn't meant to be insulting, I like this forum and respect it's members. I've just had some awkward experiences trying to teach others how to do basic shop work and been asked for YouTube links. I kind of shrug and say I just gave a thorough explanation of the process, then recommend some reading and suggest they come back when they figure it out. Does that make me a 40-something curmudgeon who is stuck in 1990, intolerant of millennial behavior or is it something else? There's something about me that my colleagues find amusing. Whenever anyone comes into my office for technical or professional advice, they usually aren't able to leave without a stack of reading material that provides the foundation for the answers to their questions. And I'm usually offended when they don't help themselves by reading it... So, not to bag on YouTube, and definitely not to bag on any of you, but have we started devolving due to time spent gawking at screens?

None of this changes the fact that Clickspring is amazing, Stefan Gotteswinter does incredible work, and Mr. Pete makes me feel like I'm in shop class again. I just don't know if an education can be extracted from watching TV.
Interesting observation
Monsieur Pontiac
yes, i read all the time, have 28th edition of Machinists hand book, people take up new interests later in life, like hobby machining, riding a powerful mobike, the latter, well a tiny few will ever be good on a bike, you need learn young.Serving an apprenticeship helps
I do learn from you tube, make vids myself, but am poor at that, see youtube stuarth43

For me it come down to learning style. I am a visual learner. If I see it done there's a better chance I will understand and it will stay in my head. I struggle with table and charts and find that I have to really concentrate for the information to sink in.
For this particular knowledge domain I'm pre-kindergarten so I need all the help I can get! o_O

For me it come down to learning style. I am a visual learner. If I see it done there's a better chance I will understand and it will stay in my head. I struggle with table and charts and find that I have to really concentrate for the information to sink in.
For this particular knowledge domain I'm pre-kindergarten so I need all the help I can get! o_O
maybe printout, threading tables, stuff like that , hang them over your bench, or read em every night in bed

I read tons, but mostly fiction. I have read some machining books. I tend to combine reading forums etc with YouTube videos. Everyone has a different learning style, mine is more in doing it than reading about it. So I get the basics and go to the shop and try it. I have paper and digital versions of a couple books for reference when I need stuff like tap drill sizes. But the real learning comes from the random aluminum scrap I use to learn how to do something on, then try to use it on a project.

It's not better in a general sense, just better for me.

I've been fortunate enough to have a machine shop class and a father-in-law whom was a master machinist. It's really nice to have someone to look over your shoulder and give you advise. Now unfortunately, that is no longer possible. Books and mags help a lot. The internet is a huge library. The trouble is there is a lot of misinformation and this is not just the internet. Just look at some of the old 100 year old pictures of that wonderful iron with master craftsmen wearing neckties and operating machines with open running belts. So you have to do a lot of sorting out. Certain sites are excellent, some are pretty good, and some, well, that is not a good way. One reason I like this site is that questions are encouraged.

I have to admit that I agree with the gist of what you're saying, Pontiac. When I started in this hobby, the internet was in its infancy and YouTube didn't exist. Now that it does exist, most content does not explain adequately the very important why behind the what. In order to really understand something, you have to know the what, why, how and how much and you don't usually get that from videos. You don't always get it from books, either. You have to do your homework, try it and then figure it out from there ... which is what I think Pontiac is saying.

I don't watch YouTube that often, although I enjoy watching Stefan's channel from time to time. Tom Lipton is really good, too; he makes things look so easy when we know damned well it is not.

Mostly, I learn from doing in my shop. I try something, make mistakes, figure out what I did wrong and go at it until it works. Then I try to understand how it works, why it works and how I can make it work better. This sticks in my head better than some video, but I admit that I'm probably an anomaly.

tr
I've been fortunate enough to have a machine shop class and a father-in-law whom was a master machinist. It's really nice to have someone to look over your shoulder and give you advise. Now unfortunately, that is no longer possible. Books and mags help a lot. The internet is a huge library. The trouble is there is a lot of misinformation and this is not just the internet. Just look at some of the old 100 year old pictures of that wonderful iron with master craftsmen wearing neckties and operating machines with open running belts. So you have to do a lot of sorting out. Certain sites are excellent, some are pretty good, and some, well, that is not a good way. One reason I like this site is that questions are encouraged.
true nuff, musta been many eyes injury's in some trades, in the factory of Sulzer in Europe, they could help themselves to the beer barrel any time of day

I was following Doug until he faked the acetylene explosion. Unsubbed as soon as I found that out.
He crossed the line there. I liked him in the beginning and am very impressed he has accomplished everything he’s done so far. But I have a real problem when he starts Pooh pooing all thing related to safety. He’ll go on ranting about how he doesn’t want to hear about people posting that he shouldn’t leave a chuck key in a lathe chuck. Okay, I get that. But that’s the nature of the beast.
But it really turned me off when he started touting his removal of all the safety guards on his 9” DEWALT angle grinders. And touting how they are just BS. I think he sort of has a responsibility to at least give proper safety advice to all the teenagers out there. Power tools can be dangerous. But Doug has an issue with anything safety related. He seems to be willing to ignore all things related to safe working procedures. He went on and on saying that standing in front of a pedestal grinder isn’t bad and grinder wheels don’t ever explode. No such thing. He professed that it’s nothing but an old wives tale....since number one, it’s never happened to him. And #2....he’s never met anyone whom it’s happened to. What a crazy way of reasoning in my opinion.
Another one.... he welded brackets and mounted his welding tanks below deck. Tons of people chimed in. They told him that Coast Guard Regs require tanks above deck unless the cabinet has all kinds of ventilation and alarms to warn against leaks. He said that’s ridiculous. Nothing dangerous about Oxygen, acetylene or argon mounted below deck. Give me a break.
Anyway you would not catch me going 100 miles offshore on that boat. Too many corners cut in my opinion.
But like I said, my main issue is that a lot of young kids are watching him and I think he has a responsibility to at least accept the fact that impressionable kids need to be instructed that SAFETY MATTERS.

Back