Do you guys know BlondiHacks, Joe Pieczynski, Abom 79 ???

He crossed the line there. I liked him in the beginning and am very impressed he has accomplished everything he’s done so far. But I have a real problem when he starts Pooh pooing all thing related to safety. He’ll go on ranting about how he doesn’t want to hear about people posting that he shouldn’t leave a chuck key in a lathe chuck. Okay, I get that. But that’s the nature of the beast.
But it really turned me off when he started touting his removal of all the safety guards on his 9” DEWALT angle grinders. And touting how they are just BS. I think he sort of has a responsibility to at least give proper safety advice to all the teenagers out there. Power tools can be dangerous. But Doug has an issue with anything safety related. He seems to be willing to ignore all things related to safe working procedures. He went on and on saying that standing in front of a pedestal grinder isn’t bad and grinder wheels don’t ever explode. No such thing. He professed that it’s nothing but an old wives tale....since number one, it’s never happened to him. And #2....he’s never met anyone whom it’s happened to. What a crazy way of reasoning in my opinion.
Another one.... he welded brackets and mounted his welding tanks below deck. Tons of people chimed in. They told him that Coast Guard Regs require tanks above deck unless the cabinet has all kinds of ventilation and alarms to warn against leaks. He said that’s ridiculous. Nothing dangerous about Oxygen, acetylene or argon mounted below deck. Give me a break.
Anyway you would not catch me going 100 miles offshore on that boat. Too many corners cut in my opinion.
But like I said, my main issue is that a lot of young kids are watching him and I think he has a responsibility to at least accept the fact that impressionable kids need to be instructed that SAFETY MATTERS.
agreed abt lathe chucks very much so
\\but have to say, tell you, that in shipbuilding grinders are never used with guards, simply cos the wheel is used totally on its flats to make a true polished edge , using the edge can cause irreparable damage in a millisecond
guards are put on for cutting, grinders, need special training, this training is essential, it takes about a ten mn lesson from a man with a lifetime usage of said tool, yes there are some bad accidents with them guard or no guard mainly cos people stick the wheel in a 9 o clock, giving a massive kickback, stead of 5-6 o clock, please dwell upon this

I totally get that Stuarth.... and I break the safety rules occasionally. But whenever I do that I usually try to give it some thought and get a solid footing and two handed grip. Plus I have decades of shop experience....mostly auto related but still shop experience. I would never get on YouTube and suggest to everyone watching that the guards are BS. Never tell everyone that they can just toss them. I think one has a responsibility to preach safety when we all know that young inexperienced people are watching YouTube because they want to learn how to do something..
Power tools are dangerous. Electricity is dangerous. Working in a shop or in the 30’ up in the air is dangerous. And young kids are already walking around feeling invincible. I surely don’t need to encourage that to only later find some young guy or girl is now seriously injured because they were listening to my advice to ignore the shop safety rules.

Last edited:
I totally get that Stuarth.... and I break the safety rules occasionally. But whenever I do that I usually try to give it some thought and get a solid footing and two handed grip. Plus I have decades of shop experience....mostly auto related but still shop experience. I would never get on YouTube and suggest to everyone watching that the guards are BS. Never tell everyone that they can just toss them. I think one has a responsibility to preach safety when we all know that young inexperienced people are watching YouTube because they want to learn how to do something..
Power tools are dangerous. Electricity is dangerous. Working in a shop or in the 30’ up in the air is dangerous. And young kids are already walking around feeling invincible. I surely don’t need to encourage that to only later find some young guy or girl is now seriously injured because they were listening to my advice to ignore the shop safety rules.
I agree with you. There have been some dreadful accidents. Especially with lathes
If you look on YouTube Stuarth 43
You will see a video I made on a meat axe. Which is a saw blade on a grinder it is not really a saw blade per say. But a cutter for milling world prep
I had an accident with this machine when I was cutting on the wrong side like I describe I was inside a yacht in a confined space the machine kickback. And cut a hole in my throat. I will send you a picture of the scar fortunately it did not cut the jugular vein. I screamed and my Friend unplugged the tool from the wall. It was Tangled in a big wooly jumper. I was wearing
Only accident I had but boy did I learn my lesson? That's why I made the video.

I agree with you. There have been some dreadful accidents. Especially with lathes
If you look on YouTube Stuarth 43
You will see a video I made on a meat axe. Which is a saw blade on a grinder it is not really a saw blade per say. But a cutter for milling world prep
I had an accident with this machine when I was cutting on the wrong side like I describe I was inside a yacht in a confined space the machine kickback. And cut a hole in my throat. I will send you a picture of the scar fortunately it did not cut the jugular vein. I screamed and my Friend unplugged the tool from the wall. It was Tangled in a big wooly jumper. I was wearing
Only accident I had but boy did I learn my lesson? That's why I made the video.

I watch a lot of these videos to gain knowledge.

I'm really into watching This Old Tony now. At first, I didn't like his humor while I was trying to learn something. But, now I love it. I find him hilarious. Watch his, "A Christmas Story!" video. It's priceless!

I was following Doug until he faked the acetylene explosion. Unsubbed as soon as I found that out.
Who in their right mind does something like that?
That is beyond appalling.

Who in their right mind does something like that?
That is beyond appalling.

Yup. He was fairly vilified online but seemed to dig himself in further by explaining that he was trying a social experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am just learning and I look at a lot of youtube videos. I see Blondihacks, Joe Pieczynski and Abom79 and This Old Tony have a lot of good videos. Do you know any other good videos to watch or follow. These were helpful because a lot of what experienced machinists take for granted, the new guy needs to learn. Sometimes it takes forever just to learn about a new term before I can get to the meat of what I want to do.
Thanks for the mention. I try to keep it relative and useful. I'm always open for questions and suggestions.

yes, got threading left to right from Joe, however he does not correspond,Abom is meticulous, pick up good tips there too
I actually joined this group specifically to reply to this comment. I start everyday with a cup of coffee and wear out my fingers, typing replies to hundreds of comments. This doesn't include all the offline e-mails and daily phone calls I get from viewers and subscribers asking for advice or help. After 87,000 subscribers and 14,000,000 views worldwide, I still answer the call. I don't usually get defensive about comments, but to say I am second to Abom79 replying to comments is just not even close to accurate. Let the video comment sections put to rest any doubt about this statement. Take care all, stay well and thanks for letting me join. For those of you that haven't visited my channel, It goes under my name Joe Pieczynski. Look for the bulldog face as the channel marker. You may find some helpful material there. Feel free to leave a comment. I bet you get a reply.

Back