Do you guys know BlondiHacks, Joe Pieczynski, Abom 79 ???

Indeed. Welcome to HM, Joe. I really enjoy watching your videos. I can tell you really know your stuff and can explain it well. Even I get a lot out of your videos even though your machinery weighs 10 times my hobby grade stuff!

Welcome Joe, your videos are always excellent in my opinion. Taught me alot.

Wow! @Joe Pie replying here and on the videos! Thanks for all you do man. I know I have learned a ton from you. I even got a refresher course in geometry/trig!

I would never have dreamed of calling your business to ask questions. That's above and beyond man. Very cool of you to answer those questions. I won't be pestering you at work, but very kind of you to put up with it. I hope your channel has driven some business in as well.

Lots of interesting stuff on the 'tube, for sure, but somehow I really struggle with video clips as a means of instruction. They're great for demonstration and exhibition, really well-suited to that, but video as a medium is poor for the conveyance of information, so I find my self getting frustrated and shuttling through videos on account of slow pacing and weak content. It's a signal-to-noise type of thing for me, which leads me to ask: Read any good books lately? Does anyone read anymore? This isn't meant to be insulting, I like this forum and respect it's members. I've just had some awkward experiences trying to teach others how to do basic shop work and been asked for YouTube links. I kind of shrug and say I just gave a thorough explanation of the process, then recommend some reading and suggest they come back when they figure it out. Does that make me a 40-something curmudgeon who is stuck in 1990, intolerant of millennial behavior or is it something else? There's something about me that my colleagues find amusing. Whenever anyone comes into my office for technical or professional advice, they usually aren't able to leave without a stack of reading material that provides the foundation for the answers to their questions. And I'm usually offended when they don't help themselves by reading it... So, not to bag on YouTube, and definitely not to bag on any of you, but have we started devolving due to time spent gawking at screens?

None of this changes the fact that Clickspring is amazing, Stefan Gotteswinter does incredible work, and Mr. Pete makes me feel like I'm in shop class again. I just don't know if an education can be extracted from watching TV.
I think it has been well established that different people have different styles of learning. I have a college degree and a vocational school certificate, and I read and have read a lot of books. I've worked over 40 years in woodwind and brass musical instrument repair. Now I am mostly retired, and since discovering and learning how to use YouTube I would estimate that I'm learning things, at age 71, ten times faster than I ever did before, and in subjects that, in many cases, I never had access to before--particularly machining.

one of the reasons I watch THE OLD TONY is his great sense of humour and the way he can restore old stuff, he is very skilled and gives credit to other you tube film makers, not only that he can make videos that are astonishing, the Spielberg of the tool room
Welcome Joe

Welcome @Joe Pie ! Glad to have you aboard! You have a wealth of knowledge to share, always appreciate your videos!

I think it has been well established that different people have different styles of learning. I have a college degree and a vocational school certificate, and I read and have read a lot of books. I've worked over 40 years in woodwind and brass musical instrument repair. Now I am mostly retired, and since discovering and learning how to use YouTube I would estimate that I'm learning things, at age 71, ten times faster than I ever did before, and in subjects that, in many cases, I never had access to before--particularly machining.
me too, picking up trades now that i did not use much in my 73 years

Wow! Joe Pie. He is a real teacher. I realize that there is a lot of criticism of U-tube. Where I am, we don't have a community college that teaches machine or wood working or whatever. There just isn't hands on available Even for subjects that are available like math, it can be Hobson's choice on the instructor or even the text. I know, I finally figured out the basic ideas of calculus(now, if I can get better at solving the problems). Utube offers more than one instructor at the same time. Learning does not stop when one finishes school, internet just adds more than just a text book.

Back