Doesn't exist? -- 8 TPI threaded chuck to fit an 80mm HF faceplate (w/ picture)

Thanks, yeah, I've looked at all (I think) of those but I don't like them as much. They are really common for pen turning and often just an adapted pen mandrel. If necessary, I might end up there... but I really like the design of the spindle version.
Can't blame you, it does look nicer.

You could make your own that might have improved aesthetics?

Or you could turn your own backing plate. I'm going to do that for my Grizzly G0752Z. Couldn't buy a back plate that would fit an ER40 tru set chuck. None available for the next 5 months. I scoured the internet, with no luck. Bought a chunk of cast iron and will make my own. Iron arriving tomorrow.

And yes, like all great "mis-heard lyrics", they will forever be known as Minila The's, thanks to ToT.

Just looked at the docs on the lathe, no mention of spindle taper!

My mini-lathe is from Little Machine Shop and made by Sieg (for LMS). It has a MT3 taper in the spindle and a 20mm spindle bore. I'd check the spindle for evidence of a taper.
Whoa!! I just checked... it's tapered! Mind blown... I had no idea. Looks like an MT3. This opens up the possibility of something like this:

1643242084594.png

Last edited:
I think I've lost the plot... what style and size of chuck do you want to mount?

Do you have something with an MT3 taper to see if it fits?

How about a compromise? An MT3 - 1" 8tpi adapter to your mandrel?

That is a live center? That won't drive anything? Did I miss the point here?
I am not familiar with your lathe, but wouldn't it be fairly easy to machine this adapter?
R

That is a live center? That won't drive anything? Did I miss the point here?
I am not familiar with your lathe, but wouldn't it be fairly easy to machine this adapter?
R
Yeah, that's live center. I would not want a live center.

Yep, that link was for a live one, first thing I found and I was being called to the dinner table. There should be a dead one out there. If not, it would be easier to make one than to adapt to the chuck flange.

Back