Dumb question on R8 (i think) spindle

New spindle.
I did not see evidence of the pin, and the R8 collets do not fit the nose.

Grind it yourself in the spindle.

I have to throw this out there.

The earlier pics that showed 1/4” of collet protruding from the spindle nose even when drawn up with the drawbar say that something other than a rough spindle taper is at fault here.

Are the diameters of the collet end of the R8 collet and the interior of the spindle nose similar?
If they aren’t, there’s no way the R8 collet is going to draw up completely.

Have you tried blueing the inside of the taper and seeing where the R8 collet makes contact?

Last edited:
Looking at previous photos, that is a lot of grinding, and he still needs to install a pin where there was none.

I just noticed what appears to be an M4 setscrew which is about 3 1/2 inches from the nose of the spindle. It looksmildly staked over is that a feasible location for a locating pin for an R8 Collett?

IMG_9436.jpg
IMG_9437.jpg

Pulled the set screw(M4-.75) and it does look to have been sheared off

IIMG_9438.jpg

I just noticed what appears to be an M4 setscrew which is about 3 1/2 inches from the nose of the spindle. It looksmildly staked over is that a feasible location for a locating pin for an R8 Collett?
I think if you pull that set screw out, you'll find it is the pin, where it was machined down into a cylinder on its protruding end.

I was wondering about that from this picture in post #90:
ScreenShot179.jpg

I have no R8 tooling, so cannot speak to set-screw position...

-brino

Back