ER-32 Collet Chuck Wanted for MicroMark 7X16 Mini Lathe

You would require an ER32 chuck with an integral R8 shank. Glacern sells a very good one for just $99.00. They now carry an ER40 chuck, too.

An alternative is to use the Tormach TTS system. It is a modified R8 collet that holds various tools, including ER chucks of various sizes, end mill holders and so on. The tools are all Chinese tools but of fairly good quality. If you need to change tools often, it is a good system at a hobby guy level of cost.

Do a search on ebay or amazon for "er-32 collet chuck 100mm".
I have the same lathe. Do not buy the collet chuck with the MT shank such as Micromark sells - you'd need to fabricate an M12 (if memory serves) drawbar to use it. Be sure to get one like this that bolts to the spindle.

I have the 3" (80mm) chuck on there now. Will a 100mm one fit?

Just checked the diameter of the one I bought a few months back, and you know, you're right - it's 80mm not 100mm. But there's a link to the 80mm on that ebay page for the 100mm.

I see that LMS is back. So, I plan on ordering a collet chuck for my mini lathe.

However, after seeing a few videos on youtube, I see I can get a 5C collet chuck that fits my mini lathe. The 5C collets handle larger diameter stock. ER-32 maximum size is 13/16" vs 1-1/8" for 5C. This seems very attractive. So, now I'm thinking of getting this instead.

The only downside to the 5C collet chuck that I see is that it is more expensive, is longer reducing the stock length I can turn, and it requires a backing plate.

Thoughts?

I have an 4” ER32 chuck for my bench lathe. Wishing to be able to hold larger stock with collets, I bought a 4” 5C chuck, some 5C collets in the 25/32” to 1-1/8” range and a 5C to ER32 adapter so I could continue to use my set of ER32 collets for 3/4” and smaller stock. I occasionally turn stock larger than 3/4” but have yet to turn anything larger than 1”, except for a couple of backplates, but those are out of the realm of collets anyway. Given my history of usage and 20/20 hindsight, I wish I had been savvy enough to have bought an ER40 chuck and collets instead of ER32 the first place and forgone the 5C chuck altogether. It would have served my needs just as well. And saved me a ton of money. Just some food for thought.

Tom

I don't think the 4" ER-40 collet chuck will fit my mini lathe.

It should, if I were you I would check out LMS , they have a list of compatible lathes :
This product works with lathes with a 100 mm flange chuck mount .

I see that LMS is back. So, I plan on ordering a collet chuck for my mini lathe.

However, after seeing a few videos on youtube, I see I can get a 5C collet chuck that fits my mini lathe. The 5C collets handle larger diameter stock. ER-32 maximum size is 13/16" vs 1-1/8" for 5C. This seems very attractive. So, now I'm thinking of getting this instead.

The only downside to the 5C collet chuck that I see is that it is more expensive, is longer reducing the stock length I can turn, and it requires a backing plate.

Thoughts?

You will need a lot more 5C collets, as much as 4x because they have a very narrow clamping range. A full set of 5C is by 64ths, ER by 16ths. 5C are also bigger which is trivial on a larger lathe but with only 16" could be an issue.

I haven't used 5C but I understand they don't clamp as well if the part doesn't extend the full length of the collet.

There used to be specific uses for 5C not available with ER, but now with ER collet blocks and spin indexers I haven't found a need for them.

Sounds like the ER-32 system is the way to go.

Back