ER-32 Collet Chuck Wanted for MicroMark 7X16 Mini Lathe

Okay, I ordered the collet chuck from LMS and the collets from All Industrial. Thanks all!!!

Only if you wish to use ER collets on the mill. Speaking for just myself, I feel ER collets are the best choice for a hobby mill. They are about the most accurate affordable option, in my opinion. A good ER chuck/nut/collet system will run very near the accuracy of your spindle and will damp vibration better than most other tool holders. This leads to better accuracy, finishes and tool life. And that longer tool life can significantly reduce costs over time.

Okay, I've been thinking about this and now I get it. I see the advantages of using an ER-32 collet chuck on the mill. I won't have to keep changing collets when changing end mill sizes and/or drilling. They come in 1/32" increments which is useful when power tapping since I'm having trouble holding taps in the drill chuck and R8 collets because the tap diameters aren't standardized. I think the ER-32 collets would solve this. Plus, they have a lower runout.

So, I'm expecting my ER-32 lathe collet chuck from LMS today. I already received the Techniks collet set from All Industrial. Very nice looking set.

I might have to order an ER-32 collet chuck with R8 shank now! Any recommendations? LMS has one on sale? Do I need a higher end one? Shars?

I've found everything I've gotten from LMS is pretty good quality, they seem to avoid the bottom of the barrel import stuff. The only reason I suggested the other collets is because theirs are priced the same as name brand collets.

From what I've read the quality of the collets is much more important than the collet chuck used. I would think the LMS R8 collet chuck is good enough.

I have had this R8 collet chuck for 3 years now and the main reason for choosing this chuck over hundreds of other similar looking ones is , it was highly recommended for it's quality and also for Glacern's customer service, if I had to buy another, I would order the same one, here's where I found mine:

1589897876507.png

The Glacern one looks really well made, but I don't see TIR listed.

Do you know what it is?

The last time I checked was when I bought it and to be honest my method of checking was not accurate (up to a machine shop standard) but IIRC, it was just around 0.0006" (0.0160 mm) which was more than acceptable for my hobby use. used a 1/4" Technik collet and a3" drill rod.

Okay, I've been thinking about this and now I get it. I see the advantages of using an ER-32 collet chuck on the mill. I won't have to keep changing collets when changing end mill sizes and/or drilling. They come in 1/32" increments which is useful when power tapping since I'm having trouble holding taps in the drill chuck and R8 collets because the tap diameters aren't standardized. I think the ER-32 collets would solve this. Plus, they have a lower runout.

So, I'm expecting my ER-32 lathe collet chuck from LMS today. I already received the Techniks collet set from All Industrial. Very nice looking set.

I might have to order an ER-32 collet chuck with R8 shank now! Any recommendations? LMS has one on sale? Do I need a higher end one? Shars?

I would echo what @Ken from ontario said - the Glacern ER chuck is very nice and at a decent price. They spec <0.0001" TIR at the taper so it is as accurate as your spindle. I would not go for a cheap ER chuck for the mill. Your cutters will only be as accurate as the spindle and chuck combined; a cheap chuck will not be a wise choice. There are better ER chucks to be sure but not at the prices Glacern charges.

I wanted to re-emphasize that you should probably save your Techniks collets for the mill and use generic import collets on the lathe. The reason for this is that lathe work pieces may not be close to the stated size of the collet. These collets will collapse down about 0.040" so they will grab the work but this will eventually affect their accuracy. A collet grabs best and most accurately when the thing it is grabbing is close to its stated size. It is better to use cheap collets in the lathe to give you maximum usability and save your Techniks collets for when you need their accuracy. I follow my own advice and have separate ER32 and ER40 Techniks and import sets for the lathe and mill.

One of the first things I bought for the Bridgeport was an ER collet chuck.
Now, I rarely use it. I found it too fiddly, and with the R8s I can line up a bunch of tools in collets ready for swap-out. I don't find fumbling around with the ER nut to be an improvement over working the drawbar (which is about eye-level for me, meaning the ER collet requires a stoop).

Got my ER-32 collet chuck mounted on my mini lathe.

A few quick measurements and the runout is about 0.001" which is coming from the lathe spindle, not the chuck or collets. I'm impressed.

Well, I'm going to give it a try. I ordered the Glacern ER32 collet chuck with R8 spindle.

So, for a cheap set of collets for the lathe, I'll try eBay?

20200520_085109_edit1.jpg

Got my ER-32 collet chuck mounted on my mini lathe.

A few quick measurements and the runout is about 0.001" which is coming from the lathe spindle, not the chuck or collets. I'm impressed.

Well, I'm going to give it a try. I ordered the Glacern ER32 collet chuck with R8 spindle.

So, for a cheap set of collets for the lathe, I'll try eBay?

It would be a good idea to mark the holes/chuck so next time when you re install that chuck, it'll go in the same holes and will give you the same runout, I've done that to all my chucks.
I bought my "less expensive" collets from this seller, have no regrets, I also have heard good reviews on ACCUSIZE which is a Canadian based vendor but their stuff is more expensive and slightly above average.

Last edited:
Back