Er-40 Collet Blocks From Arc Euro Trade

I have both, too. The ER-40 blocks are more versatile but functionally, they are the same. These are very handy to have for quick and basic indexing.

Missed this thread, that's when I was MIA. I recently got me a set of the ER-40 blocks too along with their bearing nuts. Luckily my collet wrench fit them.

I love these things. I have a super spacer but there were so many times where I just needed to quickly cut 2, 4, or 6 sides. Sucked having to lug the super spacer onto the table & indicate only to spend a minute or 2 or milling. The super spacer is heavy.

I was also suprised when they showed up the next day! One day shipping all the way from the UK!

Missed this thread, that's when I was MIA. I recently got me a set of the ER-40 blocks too along with their bearing nuts. Luckily my collet wrench fit them.

I love these things. I have a super spacer but there were so many times where I just needed to quickly cut 2, 4, or 6 sides. Sucked having to lug the super spacer onto the table & indicate only to spend a minute or 2 or milling. The super spacer is heavy.

I was also suprised when they showed up the next day! One day shipping all the way from the UK!

Yup, really handy. Collet blocks and a good work stop and you can do basic indexing. The ER blocks are better for holding things vertical because there is no nut in back like the 5c blocks. As Will said, shipping is very fast and a lot cheaper than it used to be. I would consider them, Wildo.

I plan on picking them up. Question though- I also plan on getting a nice indexing head. Seems these all take 5C collets as well. So what's your opinion on a 5c Shank ER40 holder like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5C-Shank-ER40-Chuck-With-15-PC-Collets-Set-/281979407701

Does the 5C shank still allow 1" stock to stick through? (Or actually maybe the largest 5C collet is 1 1/8")

...Or perhaps said differently- is there still a reason to get a 5C collet set when you could be using ER40 stuff instead?

Does the 5C shank still allow 1" stock to stick through? (Or actually maybe the largest 5C collet is 1 1/8")

I had never seen one of those. Looks like a handy item. It says internally threaded so probably hollow all the way through. The internal threads are for stops so no reason for a stop if it's not hollow.
One of my 5c collets will pass 1" stock and one won't that is right on the limit for the internal thread size.

5c's will grip short stock and self release.
ER's will get inaccurate with stock that is shorter than the collet, and don't self release (the nut must be backed off and it pulls the collet out)

I'm just blabering. Maybe someone who has one will be more informative.

5C collets have a 1" through hole. 5C collets larger than 1" have a step in the bore, only 1" I.D. beyond the step.
(edit: at least for the set I have...)

This whole thread about these collets has got me thinking. I will be needing some collets for my knee mill soon and think maybe I should go with er 40's instead of r8's.

Tried to order er40 collet blocks from arc eurotrade with visa debit card ,no go, hope there secure
Only credit card I have is discover, they don't take them

Tried to order er40 collet blocks from arc eurotrade with visa debit card ,no go, hope there secure
Only credit card I have is discover, they don't take them

Check with your bank. Most banks don't allow foreign transactions for debit cards. Even when I paid with my credit card it was declined by the credit card company, I had to verify it wasn't fraudulent activity & then I was able to complete the transaction. Some credit cards charge a foreign transaction fee as well.

Back