Er-40 Collet Blocks From Arc Euro Trade

The ER collets are accurate and each collet takes a wider range of sizes than other choices, but the adapters do take up more headroom on the mill. They also take considerable torque to properly tighten them. Everything has its pluses and minuses.

Check with your bank. Most banks don't allow foreign transactions for debit cards. Even when I paid with my credit card it was declined by the credit card company, I had to verify it wasn't fraudulent activity & then I was able to complete the transaction. Some credit cards charge a foreign transaction fee as well.

A few years ago my credit card number was stolen. The bank contacted me due to suspicious charges. I learned the criminals test the card by billing the likes of $1. If this goes through then they hit the card with higher fraudulent charges. Ever since this theft I may get a charge blocked from a store/company I have not used before. I get the automated call from the bank, then if I call and verify the charge it will go through. I expect if I ordered from a UK site, I would get the bank blocking the charge and sending me an automated call.

I had a UK debit payment not go through last year. Happened to be by a small outfit called Her Majesties Government. The UK no longer provides passports from the Washington DC consulate. The passport has to be applied online to the UK office. I had to change to paying with credit card to be able to complete the transaction.

I plan on picking them up. Question though- I also plan on getting a nice indexing head. Seems these all take 5C collets as well. So what's your opinion on a 5c Shank ER40 holder like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5C-Shank-ER40-Chuck-With-15-PC-Collets-Set-/281979407701

Does the 5C shank still allow 1" stock to stick through? (Or actually maybe the largest 5C collet is 1 1/8")

...Or perhaps said differently- is there still a reason to get a 5C collet set when you could be using ER40 stuff instead?

If you're looking to buy an indexing head, why not consider this one: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...ns-5C-Indexing-Head-with-ER32-Nut-and-Adaptor

Only ER-32 but also takes 5c. It also allows pass through.

Both the 5c and ER systems are useful. The key limitation with the 5c is that they only clamp nominal sized stock; the part must be within 0.005" of the stated diameter for a 5c collet to grab it. Hobby guys tend to use stock that is not nominal size. We may turn a nominal sized piece and then turn it around and machine the other side - you may or may not have a 5c collet for that turned side ... now what?

ER collets have a much larger range and can collapse about 0.032" or so. With a full set of collets you can grab anything within the range of that set and it is seamless.

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages but I won't go into that here. I'll just say I have both and I much prefer the ER system. If I worked in a production shop then I'd probably use the 5c more.

I made the same order as you Mike a few months ago. Used the square block several times and the hex one less but very glad I have it.
I realized I have 5c indexer that came with my mill. With there was a 5c-er40 adapter for it.

I'll try to keep an eye on the Arc Eurotrade site. Stevenson is a smart guy and he may just come out with a 5c to ER-40 adapter one day.

Or a D1-5 back plate for an er-40 collet

I'll try to keep an eye on the Arc Eurotrade site. Stevenson is a smart guy and he may just come out with a 5c to ER-40 adapter one day.

Not by Stevenson but there are 5c to ER-40 adapters on ebay.

After clicking that link, it occurred to me that I would actually like to get a dividing head with indexor built in. That said, I can imagine how handy something like that indexing head would be. Thanks for the comments on the differences between the two systems. Very useful info and helpful folks here!
That one is called a spin indexer, or spindex. They can divide to 1 degree increments, but are pretty much designed for horizontal spindle work, unless you have lots of headroom and like making bigger setups. You see them being used more on surface grinders, but they can definitely be used on mills as well for lighter work.

Back