few questions

Basically the gear noise is normal, the question is how much noise is the normal. You need some clearance between each gear. You use a piece of paper to set the clearance.

Here is a site that has the service bulletins for Atlas stuff. Copy them and print them off for future reference. These tend to move around on the web as site owners come and go.

http://scottandersonpipes.com/atlas_press/servicebulletins.htm

ya i figured there should be clearences but on a few gears you can wobble them or pull them in and out like as if the nut holding them on was loose. mainly on the top two small gears that select foreward or reverse feed. hope that made sence.

ya im excited to get it running better ive been wanting a lathe forever. the more i tear into it the more im learning about the machine. i got the skirt off and discovered there is indeed a missing gear for the power cross feed. hopefully i can find a replacement. couple pics.
missing gear
IMG_1486_zpsacc540c2.jpg
what the missing gear drives when engaged
IMG_1485_zpscab24e2d.jpg
its also missing a little ball bearing to lock the pull knob in or out. pretty sure i can find something at work that will work.

IMG_1486_zpsacc540c2.jpg

IMG_1485_zpscab24e2d.jpg

You should be able to find that gear either new at Clausings or on the auction sites.

There will be a spring and ball for the crossfeed knob detent positions. I made up a lever conversion for the lathe, that way you do not have to worry about touching the spinning knob.

The gears in the apron look good. Note that the support for the miter gear that the lead screw goes through has a groove to carry the oil from the hole in the apron to the bushing in the support. If you can you could make a piece of copper pipe 1/8" OD to more positive that the oil is actually getting there.

got any pics of how you did the lever conversion? edit nevermind i found your thread.

The parts manual on the 101.07403, 101.27430 and 101.27440 is also in the Download section (under Atlas) of this site. I'm gradually adding manuals to this site on the theory that there's safety in redundancy.

Also, for removing my chucks and front mounted collet closers I always lock the back gears by engaging them without pulling the pin. But on a bench machine with a chuck that hasn't been removed in eons, I would definitely use the belt squeeze and board method given down thread.

Robert D.

I too was leery on suggesting to use the back gear to hold the spindle that reason, non known age for last removal of the chuck. Better safe than spend a bunch for new gears!
Pierre

i got the chuck off by holding the belt and smacking it a few times with a hammer and block of wood worked good.

Back