First threads!

Awesome! I was vindicated!!! ;)

Of course, I learned a LOT from you! Thanks!

Let's hope the rest of it is right! ;)

Unbeknownst to you guys, I learn a lot from you, too. You guys keep me on my toes, and you do it so gently, too, which I appreciate. When I or anyone else is laying down wrong information, call it out because there is some silent new guy out there absorbing this stuff like a sponge.

Just wanted to offer an opinion on mics vs wires. Both work, both are accurate but one is a major PIA to use and one is simple and easy to use. One requires calculations and searching in the chip pan and the other is direct reading. When you are bent over the work trying to mic over wires for the fifth or sixth time as you get close to your pitch diameter, then search again for the wires you dropped, then calculate for the fifth or sixth time, the minor cost savings of cheap thread wires will disappear in a cloud of irritation.

It is your call, of course, but if I were you I would go and buy a thread mic. They are dirt cheap nowadays ... and they will save what hair you have left.

Just wanted to offer an opinion on mics vs wires. Both work, both are accurate but one is a major PIA to use and one is simple and easy to use. One requires calculations and searching in the chip pan and the other is direct reading. When you are bent over the work trying to mic over wires for the fifth or sixth time as you get close to your pitch diameter, then search again for the wires you dropped, then calculate for the fifth or sixth time, the minor cost savings of cheap thread wires will disappear in a cloud of irritation.

It is your call, of course, but if I were you I would go and buy a thread mic. They are dirt cheap nowadays ... and they will save what hair you have left.
For what its worth, I have a cheap set of thread wires, and a 0-1 mic which I think is the perfect combo. I rarely cut >1" threads, so the cheap set of wires covers for those cases. The other 99% of my threading is covered by the mics.

Good advice most of my threading is under 1 inch
The 1 inch accusize is 98.00 dollars
I see the shars is on sale for 55.00 u.s.
Will look into shipping costs for the shars if they ship to Canada
I can always use the wires for larger diameters
Maybe a dumb question how do you get your name on the like reply
mine shows up as you or 1 other person

Maybe a dumb question how do you get your name on the like reply
mine shows up as you or 1 other person

Not sure what you mean. When you hit the reply hyperlink at the bottom of the post you're replying to, the person who wrote that post is notified that you replied. Same if you liked that post. What am I missing?

Not sure what you mean. When you hit the reply hyperlink at the bottom of the post you're replying to, the person who wrote that post is notified that you replied. Same if you liked that post. What am I missing?
The thumbs up icon showing names like mikey or davidR8 when i give the thumbs up
it just shows you

It says you on your screen but everyone else sees your name

I agree totally that the wires are a big PITA. The are cheap and they do work and I'll keep them for when I need to go bigger than 1" diameter or if I ever decide to cut Acme threads.

For anyone using wires, these are the charts that came with my Brown & Sharp Thread Pitch Diameter Wire Set. As you can see, it will do both Imperial and Metric as well as Acme threads.

20200330_132308_edit1.jpg

20200409_135044_edit1.jpg

Last edited:
Back