First threads!

A set of wires is usually less than $20US.
That would be about 30 bucks up here and would need metric too
Seems affordable will give them a try
Might have to brush up on my math
Thanks for the post

That would be about 30 bucks up here and would need metric too
Seems affordable will give them a try
Might have to brush up on my math
Thanks for the post
I don't think you would need metric, just the chart that works. The idea with thread wires is that they are a cylinder of a known diameter that touches both sides of the thread at a known depth (due to the diameter). 1 set of wires should work for all threads.

The wire needs to be small enough that it touches the side of the thread, and large enough that it can be measured over the crests, right?

I don't think you would need metric, just the chart that works. The idea with thread wires is that they are a cylinder of a known diameter that touches both sides of the thread at a known depth (due to the diameter). 1 set of wires should work for all threads.

The wire needs to be small enough that it touches the side of the thread, and large enough that it can be measured over the crests, right?
Thanks you cut my purchase in half
Any idea where I can get a chart?
A bonus too all my mikes are imperial

Wait, which formula is for cross slide feeding and which is for compound feeding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave, use 0.75/tpi when feeding with the compound. For feeding with the cross slide, use 0.75/tpi X 0.866. The 0.866 is the cosine of 30 degrees, which is close enough. I got it turned around because I'm remembering all this threading stuff off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Dave, use 0.75/tpi when feeding with the compound. For feeding with the cross slide, use 0.75/tpi X 0.866. The 0.866 is the cosine of 30 degrees, which is close enough. I got it turned around because I'm remembering all this threading stuff off the top of my head.

Awesome! I was vindicated!!! ;)

Of course, I learned a LOT from you! Thanks!

Back