Flat Twin

What fuel do these engines run on, Alcohol?

You project looks amazing. A work of art even if it were a non running model. I am interested to see the carburetor that you purchased on it.

Another thought for the fuel level, would be a traditional sight glass. You can purchase small sections of glass or plexiglass tubes and create a really nice sight glass.

I use white gas or Colman Gas as it doesn't have all the additives that regular gas does. I have been adding a 10% mix of WD40 to the gas for lubrication.
I had thought about a sight glass but decided on this method instead.

Ray

The carb came in and I got it mounted.
I was able to thread the carb outlet 10mm fine and thread the 1/4" copper tee 10 mm internal to make the easiest install I have had in a long time.
I had thought I would have to make an adapter between the tee and the carb but was pleasantly surprised.

GEDC4884s.jpg

Stock photo of the carb SH .18
61+R-JzpqxL._AC_SL1050_.jpg

My ignition module has stopped making sparks so I will have to check it out to see why but not today. After building 4 engines since March I am getting burned out on engines. I am not going to stop but just take a couple of days off.

Thanks for looking
Ray

So nice when things just work easily. Rarely seems to happen, which is why they feel so special.

Does this mean that you are done or is there still work to do. I know you spoke of dismantling and dressing things up. But it seems to look pretty darn nice to me.

All the major stuff is done and it is just a matter of getting everything adjusted and running. Thinks pop up during this process that need attention as an example I noticed the flywheel was slipping on the crankshaft even with the taper bolts tight. I ended up cutting a recess in the flywheel bore about 0.100 deep, for the lock taper flange to set into. This allows the taper to tighten further into the flywheel and clamp more securely onto the shaft.

Ray

When you get her running the way you want it. Would love to see a video of it in operation.

Fantastic work there.

I took a couple of days off to make a display cabinet for the engine and related bits. It is made from solid maple about 30" X 18" X 10 1/2".

GEDC4886s.jpg

When I finished Royal Blue I made a cabinet for it also but as you can see that cabinet has filled up.
GEDC4709s.jpg

The ignition problem was the hall sensor went bad probably because I was spinning the engine over with one of the plug wires disconnected. The spark didn't have any where to go so it just zapped the sensor instead. I have another sensor board to put on and I have a friend that likes to solder on circuit boards with traces I can't even see. (hint hint Chris):)
He also has some bare hall sensors to put on the old board.

I am going to make an adapter for the flywheel so I can use my drill to spin the engine over as my wrist is getting sore.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back