Forecast Fri & Sat: 68° & 75° - Springtime in January

Just let the dogs out - 10pm-ish. Thermometer says 71° - It's warmer outside than inside the house.
Forecast didn't call for it getting this high. Suppose to top out at 64° at 1am, then slide on down to 27° Friday morning.
Wish I had some energy, I'd go putz around in the shop.
Strange weather front. 5-10 miles north and the temps are in the 50's.

64 degrees here this morning - that is crispy here in Hawaii. I'm thinking of actually putting on long pants today!

Ahh, spring is finally here in Wisconsin; I think I’ll wear shorts today.

F5B512D1-13C5-4EDA-A394-29BC7B6ED98F.jpeg

2253E94F-78DA-49B1-BECD-AF9EF26F79CC.jpeg

middle.road, the 73 degree reading is from the monitor to our weather station I put on the top of our building. Once the kids(x6) were gone my wife and I moved to a condo. It’s on the top floor of a four story building and we hardly use any heat at all despite the thermostat being set at 66 it is always warm; I think it’s because the heat ascends to our place from the units below. Works out really well for us. Here is a copy of our Nest monthly report:

0015D22F-4410-4394-93F2-64AFD99121EE.jpeg

Twenty one ours of heat for two months of winter in Wisconsin!

BTW, if anyone is considering one of the smart thermostats I would definitely recommend one. They can do things like keep track of how and when you tend to change the thermostat, how long it takes to get to temp. It will then anticipate your awakening in the morning and turn on the heater just in time to make things cozy in the morning. It’s kind of creepy but it saves money. Many utilities will give you an incentive to install them. You can use the saved money for new tools; you’ll have a Hardnge lathe in no time!

And here's the next project. And no it is not shop related. And it wasn't on any of my 'lists'.
After the nice _short_ burst of decent temps last night a storm came through and dump on us again.
I just went downstairs to grab something.
Basement is soaked yet again, so I guess it's time to put in a sump hole and pump.
Not going to be nice and easy. It's a hand dug and poured basement plus a PO had put in false walls and ceilings in an attempt to do up a bedroom that is no where near code for this area. So a whole bunch of tear-out just to get to the corner.
Wish I was a 'hydrologist' so I could figure out where the water is coming from.
We've re-done all the down spouts and such. Road at the front slopes away from us towards the old creek north and lower from us.
I'm wondering if maybe the water main is leaking and the ground is saturated so when it rains there's nowhere for it to go.

Nature abhors a vacuum ...
Wait a minute - there's a idea! Where my BA shopvac?! The one with a drain plug at the bottom.
I wonder how long can you run a shopvac before the motor fails. . . :grin:

And here's the next project. And no it is not shop related. And it wasn't on any of my 'lists'.
After the nice _short_ burst of decent temps last night a storm came through and dump on us again.
I just went downstairs to grab something.
Basement is soaked yet again, so I guess it's time to put in a sump hole and pump.
Not going to be nice and easy. It's a hand dug and poured basement plus a PO had put in false walls and ceilings in an attempt to do up a bedroom that is no where near code for this area. So a whole bunch of tear-out just to get to the corner.
Wish I was a 'hydrologist' so I could figure out where the water is coming from.
We've re-done all the down spouts and such. Road at the front slopes away from us towards the old creek north and lower from us.
I'm wondering if maybe the water main is leaking and the ground is saturated so when it rains there's nowhere for it to go.

middle.road, it is unlikely that this will be of any help but we had a similar problem a number of years ago. We called-in several basement "experts" that said they needed to dig a trench around the entire foundation and tear up the basement to put in new drain tiles; estimates ranged from 30-45k! The basement, which was finished, seemed to leak only from one area so I gave my sons some safety glasses and hammers and said, "tear it down". They had a blast hammering away but more importantly they found a pipe running through the foundation from an old buried fuel tank that was leaking into the basement when the ground became saturated. $5 later the problem was solved. Moral: be careful of basement experts.

middle.road, it is unlikely that this will be of any help but we had a similar problem a number of years ago. We called-in several basement "experts" that said they needed to dig a trench around the entire foundation and tear up the basement to put in new drain tiles; estimates ranged from 30-45k! The basement, which was finished, seemed to leak only from one area so I gave my sons some safety glasses and hammers and said, "tear it down". They had a blast hammering away but more importantly they found a pipe running through the foundation from an old buried fuel tank that was leaking into the basement when the ground became saturated. $5 later the problem was solved. Moral: be careful of basement experts.
Then the Boys grow up and move a 1000 miles away. Just when you need to dig a 'small' hole.

Yep, the experts are more than happy to do all that.
Neighbor up the road just did that. They trenched and filled, ETC.
Last week's heavy rains - guess what? They still have leakage.
With ours it's always comes in the NE corner. Last week that changed and now were also getting some over on the NW corner.
I'm mulling this over but am thinking that if I put the hole in the NE corner that will be the low spot and it will all go there.
Then I remember rule #1, water goes anywhere it wants to.
We only leak when there's been long drawn out rainy weather and the ground gets saturated.
At least we have a drain that goes out into the lower backyard. But it's at the SW corner so the water has to go across the entire length of the basement.
Everything is up on 2x4's and plastic shelving but the water gets under them and stays damp.

Last edited:
Back