Found used atlas 10” for 600$ is it worthy

tim81

Registered
Registered
Hi guys found this lathe in fb market place for 600$ it worthy. Can it make threads Etc

Hard to tell without pictures or a link.

An Atlas 10 can make threads, absolutely. They are small, full-featured lathes. Parts are abundant.

I paid $900 for my Atlas 10 in ready to run condition quite a few years ago. I replaced the lead screws and nuts because they were worn out. I ran it for several years and sold it for a few hundred more than I paid, stripped of most accessories. So, depending on what you're looking at, that could be a fair price.

Sometimes, it is hard to tell what's good and what's junk. That's an acquired skill, so post pics of what you are looking at, and someone here will let you know if it's a good starting point for you.

Also budget a few hundred more to tool up, replace worn parts, and get the basics to start off. Luckily, an Atlas will provide you with a lot of capability for a relatively small investment.

An Atlas 10 can make threads, absolutely. They are small, full-featured lathes. Parts are abundant.

I paid $900 for my Atlas 10 in ready to run condition quite a few years ago. I replaced the lead screws and nuts because they were worn out. I ran it for several years and sold it for a few hundred more than I paid, stripped of most accessories. So, depending on what you're looking at, that could be a fair price.

Sometimes, it is hard to tell what's good and what's junk. That's an acquired skill, so post pics of what you are looking at, and someone here will let you know if it's a good starting point for you.

Also budget a few hundred more to tool up, replace worn parts, and get the basics to start off. Luckily, an Atlas will provide you with a lot of capability for a relatively small investment.
I found another atlas 12” for 800$ looks good.
Link:

This one I nearby so transport will be just gas. What should/how I/can check it.

This is the atlas 10”

This is the atlas 10”

The 10” was sold the 12” is available and I will visit on Monday. What should I check on that one guys

The condition of the ways and the spindle bearings are the main items to check, then all the little stuff
like missing parts, worn belts and gears, etc.
Most any Atlas part can be found but some are way overpriced
Atlas lathes have flat ways and will usually show some wear up near the headstock. They should be smooth and shiny, no deep gouges.
The spindle should spin freely without any roughness, just a gentle roar from the roller bearings.
If the lathe is filthy, it often will be worn. A good lathe is usually kept clean. Beware of fresh paint though, as it sometimes hides things

Last edited:
They say it’s a Craftsman Atlas 12" Metal Lathe. Judging from the picture is it a 12” or a smaller one.

Back