Found used atlas 10” for 600$ is it worthy

Atlases are built like Volkswagens. Totally rebuildable and lots of parts available, new and used. It's hard to put one in the grave. The question always comes down to value and work required. The cleaner the machine the better, usually, but don't shy away from the rough ones without a good reason.

I will not log in to Facebook to look at the ads. If you cross post the pics, I'll share my insights and answer your questions. Facebook is not part of my life and I plan to keep it that way, sorry about that. No, I don't have grey hair, I just prefer this forum to social media.

Atlases are built like Volkswagens. Totally rebuildable and lots of parts available, new and used. It's hard to put one in the grave. The question always comes down to value and work required. The cleaner the machine the better, usually, but don't shy away from the rough ones without a good reason.

I will not log in to Facebook to look at the ads. If you cross post the pics, I'll share my insights and answer your questions. Facebook is not part of my life and I plan to keep it that way, sorry about that. No, I don't have grey hair, I just prefer this forum to social media.
Very fair sorry for not putting photos. They are attached now.

Attachments

• IMG_3755.jpeg
    IMG_3755.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3754.jpeg
    IMG_3754.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3753.jpeg
    IMG_3753.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3752.jpeg
    IMG_3752.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3750.jpeg
    IMG_3750.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3748.jpeg
    IMG_3748.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3747.jpeg
    IMG_3747.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 44
This one I nearby so transport will be just gas. What should/how I/can check it.
There are several videos on YouTube on how to check a lathe. I suggest you start there for what to look for. I wouldn't know how to describe some of it without visuals anyway.

Remember the two P's - Patience and Pounce. Be PATIENT and wait for the RIGHT machine. When you find the right machine POUNCE ON IT and make a deal or someone else will. Don't be caught up in FOMO - Fear Of Missing Out - the right machine at the right price is out there. If you jump too soon, it could be VERY costly.

It’s very close like 30 min drive. I ordered the milling machine, so I thought maybe will get a cheap lathe too. Mostly to make axles or clean the Axle of a 3d printer casted part. And clean gears I cast. How much do this machine go for “rough estimate”. This one looks like it does not have the timken roll baring. Is it worthy getting?

Not sure why there's a tubing cutter included $600 is probably more than I'd spend. Without change gears and a QCGB you will be fairly limited. Pennsylvania should be fertile ground for used machine sales, how long have you been looking? Also, how much space do you have and do you have a 20 amp 240 volt power supply available in your shop.

I paid $850 for my Taiwan built 12x36 with QCGB, change gears, steady & follow rest, plus lots of other goodies.

My gut says to keep looking. That's a pretty bare bones setup, you'll easily be another $400 into it to just get the basics.

John

Not sure why there's a tubing cutter included $600 is probably more than I'd spend. Without change gears and a QCGB you will be fairly limited. Pennsylvania should be fertile ground for used machine sales, how long have you been looking? Also, how much space do you have and do you have a 20 amp 240 volt power supply available in your shop.

I paid $850 for my Taiwan built 12x36 with QCGB, change gears, steady & follow rest, plus lots of other goodies.

My gut says to keep looking.

John
I just started looking now. I have a 10kw generator and still do not have the 220v also I have a two car garage that will bolt the pm940m and the lathe. Also have a 4x8 wood table in there too. Plus I have the basement, the generator is 220v

The lathe pictured in post #13 looks like a 6" model with sleeve bearing headstock- not recommended as they are difficult to rebuild
The motor is only 1/6 HP also
Keep looking

Last edited:
Back