Found used atlas 10” for 600$ is it worthy

The lathe pictured in post #13 looks like a 6" model with sleeve bearing headstock- not recommended as they are difficult to rebuild
The motor is only 1/6 HP also
Keep looking
Thanks man a lot. I will keep looking

In my neck of the woods, he’d probably get $600 for that. But it’s not a 10” lathe.

The lack of a stack of change gears could possibly double the price of this lathe.

As you have determined, that is not a roller bearing head. My Atlas was a 1937 52" bed machine with the babbitt head. I also was given a Timken head that I cleaned up, but the babbitt was smoother and left a better finish despite not being as rigid in deflection as the roller. Most of the babbitt machines are worn beyond repair now. Unless you find one that still has shims in the caps, it's best to avoid them as a beginner.

That machine is also deceiving in color. The Ford Blue was at the end of the run, mid-late 1970s, they are not as common as machines made post war. Nothing wrong, just history as to the color. Before blue, gold was a thing, but most were simply gray. Age means little with these tools, condition and completeness vs cost is the name of the game. They really made a lot of them!

I believe that 6" model uses bronze bushings rather than babbitt, and they are/were still available. The problem though is if the
spindle is worn it would need to be replaced (around 300$ from Clausing if they still have any) which for most folks is a no way Jose
situation. The spindle on those is also a 1"x 8 tpi nose versus 1"x10, the latter is better IMO
Stick with the roller bearing heads, they have no such spindle wear problem; one simple adjustment for preload and done

Last edited:
I believe that 6" model uses bronze bushings rather than babbitt, and they are/were still available.

I didn't know that! I've never seen a 6" Atlas in person. All I really know are the 10" machines.

You asked about missing change gears. They're not uncommon, and not expensive, but there are a lot of them. Many people have chosen to 3d print replacements and reported long, smooth running life with them. So that's one of the best options should you need to complete or even re-create a set.

I have a six inch Atlas/Craftsman with bronze bearings. Works great, only issue it has, surprise, surprise, is a six inch swing. Unless someone ran it with no oil for the bearings, it will be fine. That said, the motor on that is way too small, it needs around 1/3-1/2 HP, but not more, that will only get you into trouble. Lots of people here have them, and they are very desirable as you can move it with just one person, they are easy to learn on, and very easy to sell.

Back