Franko's Welding Table

Franko, which HD has argon? Would be handy in a pinch

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stan, most of them I know of sell welding gas. It is kept in a cage usually near the lumber exit. I think they have a deal with PRAXAIR.

I went to the store on the east side of 75, between Plano Pkwy and 15th.

I went to the store on Campbell and Coit last night, where I got the empty bottle.

Wow, HTH did I miss that?!
Will they swap your personal bottles? Bought mine at Metroplex, but on a weekend emergency HD would be nice.

Stan,

Stan, as far as I know, any place will swap a personal bottle. AirGas has swapped me with my HD bottle, and vise versa. I have the bottle that is about waist high, 83 ft. I think. HD has 3 sizes of argon, knee high 21 ft., waist high 83ft. and 154 ft.

Last edited:
Here is a price list.

Argon –

21ft/$90.50/$18.75
83ft/$162.75/$24.75
154ft/$186.00/$28.00

Star Gold C-25 –

23ft/$78.00/$10.50
95ft/$164.00/$16.50
173ft/$185.00/$27.00

Well that's great, thanks for the info; learn something new everyday!
Sorry for the short detour. Now, back to out regularly scheduled programming....

Stan,

No problem, Stan.

They also have CO2, oxygen, and acetylene.

Apparently, their stocks have been running low lately. Coit store didn't have any argon and Central store just had one mid-size bottle of argon.

Definitely going to check mine - Parker/Custer. Just as soon as I re-tram my mill. Just managed to rapid a $30 carbide end mill into a hold down nut.

Stan,

Ok, it stands level on its own legs and wheels now.

After sawing 1.25" off the miss-measured adjustable legs, I didn't go to all the trouble of making end caps. I just welded the square t-nuts on the ends. I tacked them and then ground them flush with the tube. I didn't use filler rod to stick them on with the TIG. The corners of the t-nuts had holes and would just burn out if I tried to weld all the way around.

1/2" carriage bolts make good feet. I'll put cinch nuts on them after it's painted.

foot weld_0639.JPG

Here is a couple examples of the better welds. I'm struggling with inside corner welds.

brace weld_0635.JPG inside weld_0636.JPG

And, finally the stand stands. The handle is still just tacked. I may have gotten it a little crooked and it may need adjusting.
The wheels are on a 1/2" rod axle cut just proud of the outside of the legs. Wheels are held in place with 1/2" collars with set screws.
Now, just a bit more grinding, clean it and paint it. Then, move on to the next puzzle.

stand_0641.JPG

Last edited:
Back