Fusion 360 Defunctioning

I’m trying to find the right person at Fusion to talk to about an arrangement for HM members similar to the EAA.

Question(s) to members here: what is the magic $$ where you would bite and what are the features we would be interested in as hobbyists that were recently taken away? Trying to look for that middle ground to have the discussion with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a GREAT idea brother! Anything less than $297 and I'm in. I'm gonna pay up to that amount anyway. Ideally? $199?

I’m trying to find the right person at Fusion to talk to about an arrangement for HM members similar to the EAA.

Question(s) to members here: what is the magic $$ where you would bite and what are the features we would be interested in as hobbyists that were recently taken away? Trying to look for that middle ground to have the discussion with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HELL YEAH!!! BEST ADMIN EVER!!!!

HELL YEAH!!! BEST ADMIN EVER!!!!
Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves....

I've spent a few hours yesterday and today tracking down "the right person to talk to" at Autodesk. The person I talked to is the Technology Impact Manager at Autodesk. My best 2020 interpretation of what that title means is that she is responsible for dealing with non-profit organizations who want the software donated rather than pay for it. I explained that from our perspective, we would be willing to pay for the software at the individual level - and provided the EAA/Solidworks partnership as a way to break the ice and provide a realworld, practical success story of what we are thinking of.

Looooonnnngg story short, it was made pretty clear to me that Autodesk policy is to support "only organizations" when it comes to non-profit programs. I say this in the context of the EAA/Solidworks partnership. I provided a somewhat nuanced (i.e., scorching view of the Autodesk business model) that leaves individual hobbyists, graduated students and entrepreneurs out in the cold. The reply was that "if individual members of our non-profit want to register as a startup organization, then they might be eligible for a software donation." In other words, we only support organizations. Talk about making your customers work for their money!

I'm sort of regretting coughing up the $297 but I see it as insurance against losing all my projects and will consider migrating over the next year to (gag) FreeCAD. (gag) not because it is FreeCAD, but (gag) because damn I was just starting to really like Fusion360!!

I threw one more Hail Mary at her - maybe she will come back and point me to a different member program that Autodesk has in mind and surprise us, but don't hold your breath.

I threw one more Hail Mary at her - maybe she will come back and point me to...
Hi Bryan,

Thanks so much for this feedback. I hear you it feels like a lack of support for individuals and hobbyists who cannot afford Autodesk software. You’re correct, the Tech Impact Program is unfortunately not set up to support individuals, and rather can only support organizations creating impact.

This feedback echoes similar comments I’ve heard before and has been prompting us to ask how we can better support our user community. So, I thank you for sharing your experience, what you’ve heard from fellow hobbyists, and encouraging us to think creatively.

All the best,
This mealy mouthed corporate nonsense is getting under my skin. Really? That echo you are hearing isn't because of the empty space in your collective corporate skulls....it is real noise from people who are using your product and ACTUALLY like it and are willing to pay something for it.

This mealy mouthed corporate nonsense is getting under my skin. Really? That echo you are hearing isn't because of the empty space in your collective corporate skulls....it is real noise from people who are using your product and ACTUALLY like it and are willing to pay something for it.
Bryan, Thank you for trying. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Gives us all a little better picture of maybe what the thought processes are at Autodesk. Thank you - above and beyond
Dick w

Not too surprising about Autodesk. It's likely difficult to get the right person and you kind of have to also find someone willing to put their neck out for us. Thanks for trying though!

Don't suppose Solidworks might want to work with us? If I have to pay EAA, might as well pay HM.

This is tangentially on-topic, and for newbies like me:

I decided to take a class on Solidworks and we use SolidProfessor. I had zero experience with CAD, so I thought it helpful. I think it was $100 for a one-year subscription for the program you choose.

Capture.JPG

Back