Fusion 360 Defunctioning

Good try Bryan. Thanks for the effort. Maybe this will get someone thinking. You never know.
Robert

I guess I do not understand how EAA is different then us other then size. I would have thought that with hobby/home 3D printing maturing, they would like to be a part of it.

Thanks for trying.

Admin: Great idea. I think asking for F360 for a deal is like asking for discount weed. Autodesk's sales plan is something like free samples, build customer base, change rules, raise prices, kill product and start over. Reminds me of the marketing plan for methampetamine or crack.

Autodesk did a similar thing with REVIT over the summer and had a big backlash. Forbes had a nice article. Any more good press and microsoft or alphabet might find a business plan in their failures. I hear amazon is running out of businesses to disrupt.

In my opinion, Solidworks, Siemens, etc are where the fruit lies for a group buy. They could get potential new users without buying another company or investing in advertising or building another product. As hobbiests, an older version would be fine for most of us, same with horsepower limitation of tool paths. I see alibre is targeting advertisements at hobby users with hook that once you buy it, it's yours. Clearly, the bad press on this has reached at least on competitor.

Hey, @vtcnc your efforts may not have been in vain.

Here's the e-mail I just got from Autodesk:

Hi Steven,
STEP export will remain available for Fusion 360 for personal use.This removal of STEP export was previously announced as part of the changes to curb misuse of Fusion 360 for personal use by commercial users. This change had unintended consequences for the hobbyist community.
For this reason, we have made the decision to continue to allow STEP export for personal, non-commercial users. It remains in product unchanged and will not be removed as other announced changes roll out this October and January.
We want you to know, while the changes to the personal use entitlement were necessary, we remain committed to our community. You will continue to see development and investment in Fusion 360 for personal use.
-The Fusion 360 Team

Great news indeed! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is tangentially on-topic, and for newbies like me:

I decided to take a class on Solidworks and we use SolidProfessor. I had zero experience with CAD, so I thought it helpful. I think it was $100 for a one-year subscription for the program you choose.

View attachment 338604

I did some of their Solidworks courses. I found the courses quite good and formatted in such a way that each video would build on the previous one. One word of caution..... Once your subscription ends, so does any access to "your' courses. So, all of the courses that I did, once I stopped my subscription the ability to access them also stopped. I found that disappointing but I guess that is the way it goes. If I were to do it over I would find a way to "save" my courses, whether it be via transcript or record the video.

I did some of their Solidworks courses. I found the courses quite good and formatted in such a way that each video would build on the previous one. One word of caution..... Once your subscription ends, so does any access to "your' courses. So, all of the courses that I did, once I stopped my subscription the ability to access them also stopped. I found that disappointing but I guess that is the way it goes. If I were to do it over I would find a way to "save" my courses, whether it be via transcript or record the video.

Good to know, thank you. I agree that it is very good instruction and is much better than watching Youtube videos and figuring it out on your own.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was using F360 today and a popup appeared leading me to the website to upgrade. I wonder if by Oct 1st if the 297 price goes back up to$495? I feel like if I'm going to need to subscribe, I should do it now. Perhaps it's workable the way it will be. I want to wait and see, but I'm also concerned when that price changes.

Check out this YouTube video that has an interview with F360 exec explaining their reasoning for the changes.

Back