Fusion 360 Defunctioning

I've never really made use of all the goodies associated with taking advantage of the cloud with Fusion 360, so never have paid much attention.

But just now, I disconnected from the internet with Fusion running, Then I made a few changes to the model and saved the file within Fusion. Then I exported it to my hard drive. Everything worked fine.

I guess I've blindly saved all my projects to their cloud instead of my local machine.

I just double checked on another machine. Fusion now requires initial sign in online You cannot start it without internet access. This is a problem for me since I often use it on airplane trips. Fusion is great to play with on those 4 hour flights.
RWM

Mine has required an internet connection for quite some time. That is not a recent change

Maybe so. However, I used fusion on a plane in March 2020 flying to Denver.
I just tried this. I opened fusion while I was on the internet and signed in. Then I cut the inet connection. I got an error message but could continue working. I wonder how long I could work offline? I assume it would eventually time out?
RWM

Hmmm. Interesting.
Maybe I have thought mine worked as it did because I saved my files to the cloud, which I have never been a fan of. I do know that to save an STL file, which I use frequently for 3D printing, Fusion sends that file to the cloud to be processed and then back to your computer to be saved locally. That part drove me nuts because it was incredibly slow, like slow enough I could walk into the kitchen and pour a cup of coffee and it MIGHT be done. Solidworks would have it done in seconds.

Fusion does allow offline use for a time. I think it's a couple weeks since the last time it could talk to the server.

I just found out the hard way that my version of fusion will not work offline. It gives you an error to check your network connection and then shuts down. Is this a part of the new changes? Has anyone else tested this?
Robert
There is a video in the thread below that talks about working offline with Fusion...I didn't watch it. I haven't used Fusion offline up to this point.

If anyone didn't pony up $300, here is something from David Loomes called Fusion Fuser that brings back tool changes...not rapids...but at least tool changes, FWIW.

Back