Fusion 360 Defunctioning

Why didn't I find that before pay $300? Anyway, why is part of me afraid they can/will figure out who's bypassing the limits they have set? I guess I have a year to wait, watch and see.

Why didn't I find that before pay $300? Anyway, why is part of me afraid they can/will figure out who's bypassing the limits they have set? I guess I have a year to wait, watch and see.

I ran an "air-cut" of the code I generated with this add-in paying particular attention to the rapid moves. It appears visually that the generated code is correct. Next test is to actually run the code with the tools loaded. I'll do that as soon as eBay processes my order and ships the metal that's been on order for three days. That's another issue unrelated to this thread.

You may be right about Autodesk implementing measures to stop these work-arounds. It wouldn't surprise me as they've already proved that with the recently implemented changes.

Forgive me, I am a VERY occasional user of Fusion 360. I just got a model in f3d format. is it still possible to export it to something mastercam can read? i heard this was removed from the free version. Give me an overview or you tube to watch if i can still do it. If not, is anyone willing to help?

I read that they added STEP export back into the free version. If you aren't able to get it to work, and can share the file, I'm sure one of us with a license would be willing to convert it for you.

As ttabbal pointed out, the STEP export functionality has been restored to the free version.
Not sure if you are looking for other options for exporting but they can be found under "File --> Export".

AutoDesk can be a real bother. In the WAY back I had found a free 3D CAD program that was easy to use and did just about everything I asked of it. It was hurting AutoDesk so they bought and buried it. I HAD to switch to Inventor. Steep learning curve but a very good program, stand alone so I could use it anywhere, anytime, Issue was $1200,00 a year for a seat as well as another $1000.00 for support, and upgrades every year. Also it never seemed to port to a CAM package? I would spend a week or two sending drawing to my machine shop until I found the IGES/STEP/ETC. file that worked this year. These thing supposed to be universal, And they were except to AutoDesk? SolidWorks, pretty much the same thing other than I could always port with them, never any issues.
Finally found FreeCAD, VERY few issues other than my company had issue with the free part. That was an easier battle and as I was in effect a stand alone in a VERY large company, I got away with it.
As long as your not going commercial, can't recommend FreeCAD enough!!

b

I tried FreeCad and found it very cumbersome. Of course, it is all what you get used to.

True, but then all of them are when you start.
I personally found that it was so similar to Inventor that I ported over VERY easy. Don't know what your using but when I was looking I had everyone tell me SOLIDWORKS is the GOLD KEY!! What a bother in comparison. I have stacks of books on how to get SolidWorks, Fusion, and about 3 others I can't think of. Used Inventor for about 11 years and only needed 1. Have been using FreeCAD now for about 7 years, I have no books, Can't even find one, I have used it for everything from architectural drawings for the lab space in our research FAB. down to mounting magnets for a a lifting device inside one of our 4" sputerers. Not going to say there were no teething issues for me. when making the jump up to arch. drawing from .001 tolerances but I was able to get the messages across and port the drawings as needed.
Best of all. IT'S FREE with no bother dealing with the vendor. you can work anywhere, you don't NEED the web, and you can save your drawings on a secure device without anyone being able to see them. Yes at work we did have a purchased seat, but for that I let the carpet dwellers deal with.

b

I ran an "air-cut" of the code I generated with this add-in paying particular attention to the rapid moves. It appears visually that the generated code is correct. Next test is to actually run the code with the tools loaded. I'll do that as soon as eBay processes my order and ships the metal that's been on order for three days. That's another issue unrelated to this thread.

You may be right about Autodesk implementing measures to stop these work-arounds. It wouldn't surprise me as they've already proved that with the recently implemented changes.

I machined the part today with the code generated by the add-in. The code included multiple tool changes and rapid moves were made without any crashes. The program ran like it did before the Autodesk defunctioning changes. I would be interested to hear from others that have tried it.

Just curious... Will Autodesk be able to come up with some sort of code to stop the add it from working?

Back