G0509g 16x40 Drool Thread

Can't think of what Paul might send. I've (relatively) recently inquired about doing a ball screw conversion, which he says he has helped others with. A long time ago I inquired about putting a motor on the Z axis but don't like that idea if I loose manual control over it. I can't use the quick change tooling, nor the NT30 conversion with the belt drive.

I haven't talked to Paul since the holidays so I'm not sure what he would send?? Guess I'll just have to wait and find out I suppose.

So...Coolidge...you buy that 670 yet? Man, that's the lathe I'd buy if I had a place and the money for it. I of course would never use even 50% of it's capacity. Would be fun to drive though. :D

Bill the wait has begun for a Grizzly 10% off coupon so in the mean time I'll continue window shopping. I priced out the lathe, Dorian starter set, Bison chuck, and two back plates yesterday and it was north of $10k ouch.

What's up with those Grizzly coupons? The only coupon I ever received from them was not by email but in their yearly catalog for 10% &only in the very first one I received. After that, I've never received a coupon from them, not in any following catalogs (some have reported 5% recently), & again, never by email. After 2 yrs of never receiving one & being very rare to find online from other posters, I stopped caring. I don't buy much from them anyway.

The coupons are somewhat erratic, I get one about every 6 months. Since 10% off this order will $1,000+ its worth it. Also if you buy a machine that cost over I think $5k you can just call them up and ask for a discount. The down side for me buying from Grizzly is I live in one of the three states where they have a showroom so I get hit with sales tax which is going to be another $900.

Bill the G0670 is looking less likely, it cannot be delivered via lift gate service.

Damn, there goes your discount! Damn taxes! o_O

The coupons are somewhat erratic, I get one about every 6 months. Since 10% off this order will $1,000+ its worth it. Also if you buy a machine that cost over I think $5k you can just call them up and ask for a discount. The down side for me buying from Grizzly is I live in one of the three states where they have a showroom so I get hit with sales tax which is going to be another $900.

Bill the G0670 is looking less likely, it cannot be delivered via lift gate service.

Oh, sorry, thought you would know about that. These bigger lathes simply can't be delivered by liftgate as they just don't fit. When I was semi-seriously considering the RML I had already identified a rigging company in the Denver area that I was going to have the lathe shipped to, then have them perform the delivery and setup. With these bigger machines costs start adding up real quickly. So I slapped myself upside the head and took a hard look in the mirror and decided that for gunsmithing (which isn't hard on machines anyway) and home hobby stuff I really only need a 13 or 14" swing so I started looking more closely at what was available with the thought that this would be the last lathe I buy and it needed to be semi-portable, i.e. movable by yours truly. I ended up picking the PM as you know, and picked my primary chuck and QCTP using the same criteria.

Just take delivery in Portland (or Sandy), the sales tax goes away. I can off-load it at my place and transfer it to a drop deck trailer for you.

Jim wow that's an idea thanks for the offer. In other news my Wood magazine showed up today, the last Grizzly coupon I got was via Wood...no joy on a Grizzly coupon but I did get a 20% off Harbor Freight coupon!

Back