G0509g 16x40 Drool Thread

Coolidge
I just purchased a 0509G last summer. The offloading wasn't too bad. I rented a forklift from a rental place nearby and unloaded it myself. The thing came on the truck small end out so the lift down to the ground was nerve wracking lifting from one end. The weight distribution is right though and the pallet was pretty good so the thing just sticks way out from the forks with most of the weight on the forks. Once on the ground I was able to come in from the side. My shop was just big enough and tall enough to move the lathe around using bars through the lifting holes and chains over the forks. Probably took 2-3 hours to get it in place and I only had to pay a half day for fork lift rental. I had a huge Yaskawa drive kicking around for phase conversion and I made an AC filter (choke and some capacitors) so I could feed the AC in to the lathe and use the lathe's controls for speed control. Some day, I'll probably rewire so I can make better use of the drive the way it is supposed to be used and have adjustable RPM with a knob.

So far, I am really enjoying the lathe. I'm a non-machinist and just learning. I went big because I didn't want to buy a lathe, then risk having to buy a bigger one later. Not sure I'll ever use the full capability of it but it is there.

I'm a bit east of Tacoma if you are interested to see one without driving to the top of the state.

Hey Reddinr thanks for the info and I just may take you up on that offer to see one in person. I can't see making it the 500 mile round trip to Bellingham given the 80 mile traffic jam that surrounds Seattle during the week. Can you do me a HUGE favor can you tell me what the distance is from the top of the compound to the spindle centerline, also the width of the compound? I'm trying to figure out if the Dorian CA QCTP will fit height and width wise. The Dorian CA base is 4.0 x 4.0 inches vs the Dorian CXA 3.5 x 3.5 inches. Of course feel free to tell us how you like the lathe, pro's, con's I'm all ears.

In other news...Bill is EVIL!! The G0670 is back on the table and I would say has taken the lead over the G0509g.

We're doing our best to help you spend your money.:cpa:

Hey Reddinr thanks for the info and I just may take you up on that offer to see one in person. I can't see making it the 500 mile round trip to Bellingham given the 80 mile traffic jam that surrounds Seattle during the week. Can you do me a HUGE favor can you tell me what the distance is from the top of the compound to the spindle centerline, also the width of the compound? I'm trying to figure out if the Dorian CA QCTP will fit height and width wise. The Dorian CA base is 4.0 x 4.0 inches vs the Dorian CXA 3.5 x 3.5 inches. Of course feel free to tell us how you like the lathe, pro's, con's I'm all ears.

Sure. No problem. The distance to the top of the cross slide that the compound sits on is 5.06". The slide for the compound is 1.78" higher than the top of the cross slide and the top surface of the compound is 3.36" higher than the top of the cross slide. So, that's 3.28" from center to the slide for the compound and 1.70" from center to the top surface of the compound. The top of the compound is 3.8" wide.

I don't have vast experience with a lathe. My experience is high school shop and my uncle let me use his from time to time, both decades ago. So, take my comments with that in mind. It was a tough decision about the lathe. I came close to getting a 4003g to save money and have a lighter weight lathe for ease of shipping etc. The 0509g just has more meat on it, wider ways etc. I thought it would be much stiffer and allow for more capability as my skills hopefully grow to catch up with the capability of the lathe. I have few complaints so far. Everything worked. All the parts were there. All of the gears worked. Some of the gear levers are touchy and you have to get them just right but they work. The manual is a little sketchy but not unusually so for any machine these days. Changing gears to go from worm to regular threading took a little time to figure out as the manual has just a couple of sentences and a bad photo. Still, it just took a few minutes and a "duh" moment to get it done.

I bought a motor-type phase converter that was too small for the job. I got a 7.5HP for the 5HP motor of the lathe. Had I been more careful, I would have read up and known better. These motors seem to take lots of start-up current. It did work on low gear/low speed settings but the spin-up time was slow. On high settings I would pop the overload or a breaker on the lathe. The inverter I have now is much better. The brake is very convenient. The machine is massive and takes a while to come to a stop without the brake.

Bill the G0670 is looking less likely, it cannot be delivered via lift gate service.
Go rent a hydraulic drop-deck trailer from Sunbelt ($100/day) in Kent, WA and drive up and pick it up your self. You can move the lathe right off the drop-deck with a pallet jack.

Drive up the Kitsap side and take the Edmonds ferry and miss most of the traffic.

Go rent a hydraulic drop-deck trailer from Sunbelt ($100/day) in Kent, WA and drive up and pick it up your self. You can move the lathe right off the drop-deck with a pallet jack.

Drive up the Kitsap side and take the Edmonds ferry and miss most of the traffic.

GET OUT...that's brilliant! Now hauling a 3,600 lb top heavy lathe 250 miles...through the Seattle 80 mile long traffic gauntlet I dunno. Renting a trailer like this to get it to my house locally and into the garage yeah, interesting.

Calculating...$600 to let Grizzly ship it and rent a trailer to get it into my garage, $300 for gas and 2 days trailer rental to drive up there and haul it myself...its almost worth $300 to me to let Grizzly take the shipping risk. If I were closer and that wasn't such a traffic nightmare up there it would have been worth it.

Last edited:
Back