G0704 CNC Conversion (yes, another thread on this :) )

Started with an easy print to make sure the printer is working fine (since it has been sitting without use for so long). Printing the LED spindle ring holder.

IMG_2964.jpg
IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

Hi @wachuko!

I’m a fellow G0704 guy on this site. Converted mine in 2013 first to a Hoss machine style design with dual shaft Nema 23 steppers, then recently to AC servos. I’ve done the works on this machine over the years (far more than necessary) and I’ve had a blast.

Happy to chat, share ideas, answer questions , etc. as you go through your conversion. You’ll learn a ton as you go along and hopefully have a lot of fun too.

-Mike

Hi @wachuko!

I’m a fellow G0704 guy on this site. Converted mine in 2013 first to a Hoss machine style design with dual shaft Nema 23 steppers, then recently to AC servos. I’ve done the works on this machine over the years (far more than necessary) and I’ve had a blast.

Happy to chat, share ideas, answer questions , etc. as you go through your conversion. You’ll learn a ton as you go along and hopefully have a lot of fun too.

-Mike

Mike, thank you. I do have a few questions and pretty sure many mores will come up as I start the build... right now I am diving into videos and build threads.

One question that I have is what tool holder are you using?? Looking to make life a bit easier when changing tools... something that allows quick swap would be ideal. Guessing this will be even more important with a CNC setup...

LED holder is done... LEDs should be here in a week or so...

IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

Now that I know that the printer is working fine, on to print the mounts for the limit switches...

Last edited:
On base for limit switch done... will continue after I get home from work...

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

Will be a cool project to redo these in aluminum once I have the CNC setup working :D

Last edited:
Mike, thank you. I do have a few questions and pretty sure many mores will come up as I start the build... right now I am diving into videos and build threads.

One question that I have is what tool holder are you using?? Looking to make life a bit easier when changing tools... something that allows quick swap would be ideal. Guessing this will be even more important with a CNC setup...

I have standardized on the Tormach Tooling System - TTS (Short 3/4" shank and master collet system). Tooling is relatively cheap, and it fits the existing spindle. It is an investment to get into, but once you have the CNC done, the ability to save your tool offsets in a table is super valuable. I have 24 ER20 holders, a 2" boring head, a Tormach brand edge finder, and a 5/8" drill chuck setup for TTS. While not strictly necessary for using TTS, my addition of a pneumatic drawbar was one of my favorite modifications. It just works and it is super fast to change tools.

I purchased almost all of these from China. Mixed quality, but the seller always made it right if I had issues. You save about 50% over Tormach pricing doing it this way, but it takes a little diligence on your part to inspect the incoming products. I detailed this starting on post #79 of my build thread. I did a short review of the import chucks on post #95 and #99.

I have standardized on the Tormach Tooling System - TTS (Short 3/4" shank and master collet system). Tooling is relatively cheap, and it fits the existing spindle. It is an investment to get into, but once you have the CNC done, the ability to save your tool offsets in a table is super valuable. I have 24 ER20 holders, a 2" boring head, a Tormach brand edge finder, and a 5/8" drill chuck setup for TTS. While not strictly necessary for using TTS, my addition of a pneumatic drawbar was one of my favorite modifications. It just works and it is super fast to change tools.

I purchased almost all of these from China. Mixed quality, but the seller always made it right if I had issues. You save about 50% over Tormach pricing doing it this way, but it takes a little diligence on your part to inspect the incoming products. I detailed this starting on post #79 of my build thread. I did a short review of the import chucks on post #95 and #99.

I remember seeing your thread and thinking, wow, what this guy is doing is waaaayyyy out of my league :D . I only looked at the first few pages in the thread and realized that I had a lot to learn. So I have more reading to do. Thank you for jumping in here to provide guidance.

I have to say, you have done a lot with your machine. That pneumatic drawbar is awesome. Something that I will need to look into after converting the machine. That is one of the most tedious tasks with this machine...if it can be improve with something like that, I want to do it!

Another question... on the software... should I go with Mach3 or Mach4-Hobby? I see that you have experience with both. I just checked pricing and they are about the same price...

Lot's to read and learn.... thanks again.

I remember seeing your thread and thinking, wow, what this guy is doing is waaaayyyy out of my league :D . I only looked at the first few pages in the thread and realized that I had a lot to learn. So I have more reading to do. Thank you for jumping in here to provide guidance.

I've been doing this for a long time and I often do things "because I can". Hopefully it isn't overwhelming and I am very much happy to chat and answer questions! Also happy to share design, drawings, etc.

I have to say, you have done a lot with your machine. That pneumatic drawbar is awesome. Something that I will need to look into after converting the machine. That is one of the most tedious tasks with this machine...if it can be improve with something like that, I want to do it!

Love the PDB. One of the best mods. Tool changing is tedius. TTS even without the PDB makes it much faster, but pushing a button and having your tool fall out is just so nice.

Another question... on the software... should I go with Mach3 or Mach4-Hobby? I see that you have experience with both. I just checked pricing and they are about the same price...

100% Mach 4 hobby. Don't even consider Mach 3. There are other software packages like LinuxCNC, UCCNC, and others that people can comment on, but I am all for Mach 4. Works great out of the box, lots of flexibility to configure for your needs later on. I highly suggest getting a good motion controller. Ethernet Smoothstepper is my recommendation.

Mach 3 is old and buggy. It is only being sold for people who don't want to relearn a new software. You really can't get support for it either.

...100% Mach 4 hobby. Don't even consider Mach 3. There are other software packages like LinuxCNC, UCCNC, and others that people can comment on, but I am all for Mach 4. Works great out of the box, lots of flexibility to configure for your needs later on. I highly suggest getting a good motion controller. Ethernet Smoothstepper is my recommendation.

Mach 3 is old and buggy. It is only being sold for people who don't want to relearn a new software. You really can't get support for it either.

Excellent, thank you.

And yes on the smoothstepper. I ordered that yesterday from Amazon - Ethernet SmoothStepper CNC Motion Controller by Warp9 Tech Design Inc. Should be here before the end of the month.

Because I wanted dual shafts in all motors (to be able to manually turn them), and because Automation Technologies did not have one with 4 wires, had to buy one with 8 wires (NEMA 34 640 oz-in Stepper Motor (KL34H280-45-8B) Dual shaft ) ... Just documenting the wiring setup that I need to do to make it into a 4-wire unit.

8to4WiringNEMA34.JPG

Back