Good place for sourcing end mills?

I have bought most of my end mills and taps from From our local Fastenal .
Every couple of weeks I just check to see what's on sale on their site , there are pages after pages to go through so I just scroll down each page quickly looking for anything in red, which means 1/3rd or 1/4 of the actual price, then call the store and order it. you can pick your order up at the store for minimal shipping cost, if not free.
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0327412?pageno=3&r=~|categoryl1:"601071 Cutting Tools and Metalworking"|~ ~|categoryl2:"601093 Milling Products"|~ ~|categoryl3:"601094 Square End Mills"|~ ~|manufacturer:^"NIAGARA CUTTER"$|~
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/3187604
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/3148720

I would first thou call the nearest fastenal store and find out if they sell to general public ( without a business account), the one in our small city sells to anyone but do charge slightly higher than what they charge businesses who buy in bulk.

Last edited:
If you work for a company that buys and has an account with Fastenal sometimes you can get added to the account.
Good call on Fastenal...looks like good product and there is one down in the city...thanks!

I have 2 of these sets. The first one I got from HF and the second set from LMS. The boxes are identical but the end mills are different. The helix angles are more aggressive on the LMS 2 flutes. Theres almost no twist to the flutes. The HF 4 flutes are better than the LMS 4 flutes. They are harder and have a better coating. I really think it just depends on who they were able to get them from that week. They arent bad at all, especially for a beginner. I’ve had both sets for about 2 years now. Its nice to have a wide range of fractional sizes at such a low cost. You almost always have the right end mill except when it comes to needed longer flutes or if your working with harder material. I was able to mill a shallow slot on my hardened AXA parting tool holder with one of the small 4 flutes. It wound up milling it very nicely but it was shot after that.

I have 2 of these sets. The first one I got from HF and the second set from LMS. The boxes are identical but the end mills are different. The helix angles are more aggressive on the LMS 2 flutes. Theres almost no twist to the flutes. The HF 4 flutes are better than the LMS 4 flutes. They are harder and have a better coating. I really think it just depends on who they were able to get them from that week. They arent bad at all, especially for a beginner. I’ve had both sets for about 2 years now. Its nice to have a wide range of fractional sizes at such a low cost. You almost always have the right end mill except when it comes to needed longer flutes or if your working with harder material. I was able to mill a shallow slot on my hardened AXA parting tool holder with one of the small 4 flutes. It wound up milling it very nicely but it was shot after that.

Probably not the best, but I bought a 20 piece set (3/16 - 3/4) of 2 & 4 flute titanium nitride coated HSS end Mills from Harbor Freight for $79.95. Thus far I am pleased with them, but as a hobbiest I am in no hurry and don't crowd things.

I quit buying the inexpensive end mills because I've had two 3/4" HSS steel chinese mills break in half under .005" cuts, 1 piece went flying!o_O
Learned my lesson.

If you are staying away from Ebay, and want American HSS, try going to Amazon and browse everything they have in stock from Niagara. Usually there are some pieces on sale. One advantage we have as hobbyists is that we only need a mill or two at a time, and frequently don't care much about the specific length.

Amazon apparently had a major snafu in a database join for end mill pricing a while back, I picked up a bunch of Niagra, some SGS Kyocera and a couple of Hanita carbide end mills in various shapes sizes and coatings. Close to 6 grand worth of tooling for $700, that made it especially painful when UPS lost 3 of them in transit that one envelope was worth almost a grand, I spent $50 and since they weren't stocked by Amazon all I received was a refund, no replacement.

Back on topic check JERRAY tools on Amazon, I have a couple of their carbide roughing end mills, they are some metal eating beasts and have done very well for me, I had one break right off the bat and they refunded my money when I asked about a replacement. I bought it again and was glad I did.

I quit buying the inexpensive end mills because I've had two 3/4" HSS steel chinese mills break in half under .005" cuts, 1 piece went flying!o_O
Learned my lesson.
Yeah, this is my fear not to mention dulling as soon as the tool hits steel. Looks like I'll buy a few cheap cutters, but it can really make learning more difficult versus a high end make/model/brand. After i get my wings, who knows? Maybe its like being a parent, your first you baby and protect, by second your letting them play on a median!

Thanks for all the input guys, this mill and lathe install and getting up and running is burning through my expendable income like a monkey on a banana. I dont mind rolling the dice on the unknown sometimes, but i have SO MUCH i need right now, buying twice isn't in the cards.

Back