Good place for sourcing end mills?

In theory, now I'm considering this, seems like you could make a tool that uses indexable carbide inserts? That would have to be as good as anything out there. (I mean as long as you are not a nipple head & you understand cutting angles and such... I do not, but I'm sure plenty folks here do.) I just got the set that is sold under so many brand names:
End mill set,
And it works, but NO WHERE as well as the tools i got from Colorado Mold Supply, but that whole kit is about the price as ONE 1/2" cobalt tool from the USA manufacturer i am speaking of. Whats more important ? I tell you, it is far more satisfying watching/listening and appreciating the job the expensive tools do, but this IS a hobby. It costs and brings no money in. I guess I'll have to pick up more work as an underwear model to offset my habit!

Guns,

That set of slot drills looks like the ones they give away over here to sell a new mill.
There are enormous differences in cheap Chinese and Chinese cutters, even more so if you include India. If you buy from the bay and amazon you get what you pay for ! Unfortunately due to the trade war buying from the better quality Chinese manufactures is becoming as expensive as buying from home manufactures. Its going to get worse because an awful lot of home manufacturing is actually imported from abroad.

For us in the UK, Brexit is like Damocles sword.

Let me preface this by saying Im new to machining but I have been watching tons of videos for years on youtube. Recently stumbled upon some decent channels that have been reviewing end mills and carbide from a compnay called banggood. Chinese stuff but they have had some pretty good results. I planned on ordering a face mill and some carbide inserts from them.

I have seen a bunch of reviews on products from Banggood as well. Most are good and very little are bad. They get honest reviews and a lot of it is Banggood donating their products to youtube creators to get their name out there. I have considered their facemill but I have heard that it doesnt perform very well. I think it was due to the geometry of the insert pocket. I may be wrong and please do correct me if I am wrong. I read somewhere I think here, where someone posted about a good face mill for a decent price. I wish I could remember where it was . I think maybe Piere’s Garage on youtube did a review on the facemill as well. I know he does a lot of Banggood product reviews.
Let me preface this by saying Im new to machining but I have been watching tons of videos for years on youtube. Recently stumbled upon some decent channels that have been reviewing end mills and carbide from a compnay called banggood. Chinese stuff but they have had some pretty good results. I planned on ordering a face mill and some carbide inserts from them.

Piere did a review on the banggood face mill. Some complaints from others were that only a couple inserts were contacting. He showed that all the teeth were contacting on his.

Before you buy a face mill, have a look at this post, entry No:8

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/using-a-fly-cutter.72418/#post-607858

It shows one of the fly cutters that I made !

Or sneak around there recycling bin.

The end mills I have bought from Kodiak, are very similar in appearance and packaging, of those I buy from Titan USA. As the Kodak office is in a small strip mall, with a dentist and accountant (IIRC), they are a seller, not a manufacturer, they say made in the USA, Titan USA is in Massachusett, I maybe wrong, but I doubt it.

This not to slur Kodiak, they seem like a good supplier.

If you're going to Amazon, look for the Niagara Cutter endmills. They are top notch and Amazon has good prices.

Beyond that, for carbide I'd go to Lakeshore Carbide or Maritool. For HSS, maybe KBC or MSC, but stay away from the house brands like Interstate. OSG, Niagara, etc are fine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back